Black Betty 2018 Z71 Silverado....build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Doubeleive

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This was all new stuff?
yep, $500 amp and $650 pair of Jl's, the Jl's can be repaired i just have to have them shipped to jl but it wont be under warranty, the amp I am pretty sure is toast, because I waited so long to get all this stuff installed not much I can do but eat it.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yep, $500 amp and $650 pair of Jl's, the Jl's can be repaired i just have to have them shipped to jl but it wont be under warranty, the amp I am pretty sure is toast, because I waited so long to get all this stuff installed not much I can do but eat it.
Ouch. I’ve installed a bunch of audio over the years, never had that kind of bad luck. Sucks.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I followed the diagram in the manual which showed the "JL" on the back of the speaker facing up, on the diagram it shows positive-to-positive being vertical to each other but they are in fact diagonal, rookie mistake I thought I might have done it wrong but didn't double check and didn't think it would fry the coils but they are done smells like typical burnt electronics:(
This was to lower the ohms load? To 1?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if I read correctly--were the directions wrong, or you followed them wrong?

I think Wes followed the diagram literally like the picture but the voice coils are actually opposite each other. He wired up the second voice coil directly opposite the first one, so they were fighting each other. This would still show the desired impedance (1 ohm) at rest. But one VC would be trying to move the cone (piston) one way just as much as the other VC is trying to move it the other way.

OP
OP
Doubeleive

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if I read correctly--were the directions wrong, or you followed them wrong?
the diagram in the manual had the polarity shown correct, it had the positions of the polarity on the speaker wrong in the diagram, the diagram showed the + polarity being top left and bottom left, but on the speaker they are actually top left corner and right bottom corner, I just followed the diagram and didn't pay attention to the details

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the diagram in the manual had the polarity shown correct, it had the positions of the polarity on the speaker wrong in the diagram, the diagram showed the + polarity being top left and bottom left, but on the speaker they are actually top left corner and right bottom corner, I just followed the diagram and didn't pay attention to the details

They just use generic representative icons, mirror-imaged in the diagrams. You still got your 1 ohm cuz impedance isn't affected by polarity (on speakers).

OP
OP
Doubeleive

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They just use generic representative icons, mirror-imaged in the diagrams. You still got your 1 ohm cuz impedance isn't affected by polarity (on speakers).
ya I had been working on it for a while and it got dark and I wasn't paying enough attention to details, just trying to get it done now some chick has the same amp for sale on offer up supposed to pick it up tomorrow and try again.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That shouldn’t have blown anything up. It might not have sounded great since they were out of phase but that’s all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo

Latest posts