Black Betty 2018 Z71 Silverado....build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Doubeleive

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let's see what did I do today, wired up the amps. got the dash speakers working, got the front door speakers working, got the rear door speakers working. great!
Then I proceeded to the subs and nada, barely any sound, screwed around with for a while and then discovered I had wired the subs wrong and had pretty much instantly fried the voice coils :emotions122::emotions122::emotions122:
so my happy ass went out and bought 2 more subs, wired them in correctly, hooked up the amp had happytime for about 10 minutes and then the amp blew up, like blew up blew up,
smoked it like a bbq :evil27::evil27::evil27: so I grabbed a spare amp I had that was supposed to be working just to have some sound for now and.....no output from the radio
screwed around and tested every fuse because the radio was fuse was fine and amp fuse was fine, after I checked every single fuse I turned on the radio and I have output WTF!!!
so I start adjusting the spare sub amp flip a switch and bam it blows both fuses...... ****

so I guess I am on the hunt for another amp tomorrow locally...

maybe from having the subs wired wrong I killed the first amp, I don't know, all I know is that is it's dam near $1000.00 down the drain. :boxed:

Thouse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let's see what did I do today, wired up the amps. got the dash speakers working, got the front door speakers working, got the rear door speakers working. great!
Then I proceeded to the subs and nada, barely any sound, screwed around with for a while and then discovered I had wired the subs wrong and had pretty much instantly fried the voice coils :emotions122::emotions122::emotions122:
so my happy ass went out and bought 2 more subs, wired them in correctly, hooked up the amp had happytime for about 10 minutes and then the amp blew up, like blew up blew up,
smoked it like a bbq :evil27::evil27::evil27: so I grabbed a spare amp I had that was supposed to be working just to have some sound for now and.....no output from the radio
screwed around and tested every fuse because the radio was fuse was fine and amp fuse was fine, after I checked every single fuse I turned on the radio and I have output WTF!!!
so I start adjusting the spare sub amp flip a switch and bam it blows both fuses...... ****

maybe from having the subs wired wrong I killed the first amp, I don't know, all I know is that is it's dam near $1000.00 down the drain. :boxed:

this is why audio stuff scares me! I hope you catch a break.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score

I’m rooting for you!

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score

That SUUUXXXX!!!
How were the subs wired wrong? Just so I don't make the same mistake.

OP
OP
Doubeleive

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That SUUUXXXX!!!
How were the subs wired wrong? Just so I don't make the same mistake.
I followed the diagram in the manual which showed the "JL" on the back of the speaker facing up, on the diagram it shows positive-to-positive being vertical to each other but they are in fact diagonal, rookie mistake I thought I might have done it wrong but didn't double check and didn't think it would fry the coils but they are done smells like typical burnt electronics:(

OP
OP
Doubeleive

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m rooting for you!
lol, should have seen me running to disconnect the power wire from the battery when the amp blew, once in the late 80's I had hooked up a amp and speakers and was with some friends just cruising down the road and suddenly the entire car filled with smoke, like cheech n chong up in smoke! managed to pull over and found the entire power wire had burned from the battery to the trunk and fried the carpet with it, just a big black burn mark from front to back it was the weirdest thing.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score

This was all new stuff?

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
lol, should have seen me running to disconnect the power wire from the battery when the amp blew, once in the late 80's I had hooked up a amp and speakers and was with some friends just cruising down the road and suddenly the entire car filled with smoke, like cheech n chong up in smoke! managed to pull over and found the entire power wire had burned from the battery to the trunk and fried the carpet with it, just a big black burn mark from front to back it was the weirdest thing.
:happy175:

Love that movie - great visualization as well. Did you also have the welded chain steering wheel?

s%3A%2F%2Fcalifornia-times-brightspot.s3.amazonaws.jpg

OP
OP
Doubeleive

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:happy175:

Love that movie - great visualization as well. Did you also have the welded chain steering wheel?

s%3A%2F%2Fcalifornia-times-brightspot.s3.amazonaws.jpg
haha, no it was a 80's chevy cavalier, man I abused that car so bad... I melted 3 sets of spark plug wires to the engine because I didn't fix the bad water pump and kept driving it. That was a bad turning point in my life I went from having everything I needed a good job my own place and transportation, to having nothing and being homeless, that's what Meth will do to you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ckylec