bilstein 5100 with Stock tires and suspension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Adam OJ

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm new here.

I just bought a 2001 Tahoe to replace my lifted Jeep commander. We are on our 3rd suburban, so I'm familiar with the platform, but I have never lifted any of them.

The shocks on my Tahoe (LT autoride, ~92k miles) are shot. Real rough ride. Of course, I didn't notice in the test drive, it only shows up on real rough potholed or heavily patched roads.

Anyway, I want to swap out the shocks for some Bilstein 5100's based on the recommendations heard here. I am going to do keys and spacers and bigger tires soon, just not yet. I have to take one mod at a time. So can put the appropriately sized 5100's on there without also lifting it? Or does the lower ride height cause problems with the shocks?

Thanks, looking forward to the journey of getting this thing a little taller!

01yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bilstein 5100s are the best bang for the buck!! You should be ok until you get your keys and spacers.

The 'ER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It will depend on the keys and spacer you chose. Worse comes to worse you could get the shocks and hold off until you do the keys and spacers. I got mine for under $100 off ebay.

Max

Mile High
Reaction score
Not an issue I've done it many times. You'll love them :cheers:

OP
OP
A

Adam OJ

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback guys.

I think I'll give it a go. Gotta get through some vacation travel and then this will be the next project.

Looking forward to the ride improvement!

OP
OP
A

Adam OJ

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
following up on this.

Since my Tahoe has (had) autoride, and I wasn't about to pay the price for replacement autoride (nivomat?) shocks, I bypassed the system. So I also had to replace the rear springs. I went with Z71 springs along with the longer Bilsteins. So when the time comes to add spacers, I'm already running the proper shocks.

The ride on this this is AWESOME. My wife drove it yesterday and was commenting that she almost enjoyed driving it better than her 07 burb. Not quite, but almost.

Thanks for the feedback.

Jetfumes

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
How difficult to replace the coils, and where are you guys buying your bilstein's 5100, and also what are the different model numbers for front and rear

01Konvict

Boats n Hoes
Reaction score
Coils are a easy swap just drop shocks and sway bar then pull coils. Get z71 springs from rock auto. eBay keys and spacers, any of them work just find best price. 5100 shock warehouse and part numbers are in my thread in signature. Also a guy just posted updated numbers in a thread just a couple days ago. Searching this forum helps find these answers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick9667

Latest posts