Best Wheel bearing and transmission filter change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
One more question and this might be a dumb one. where do you guys prefer to buy your parts. I was just going to buy it from amazon but i know sometimes manufactures warranties do not apply to amazon orders.

You can get the Timkens on rock auto. There is a 5% discount code in the vendor section of the forum.

Bombsquad85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One more question and this might be a dumb one. where do you guys prefer to buy your parts. I was just going to buy it from amazon but i know sometimes manufactures warranties do not apply to amazon orders.

I got my timkens on Amazon. Just make sure they are timken

DTS

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Another +1 for Timken hubs.

You can get all the parts on Amazon, just be sure when you buy them, that they are “sold and shipped by Amazon”. That’s important to ensure you are getting legit products. This goes for all purchases on Amazon. Even if the products are “fulfilled by Amazon”, the legitimacy of the products cannot be guaranteed by Amazon. I just put in AC Delco trans filter/gasket/Dex 6 and got it all from Amazon.

Regarding dropping the pan, on my 03 Z71 Tahoe the shift cable bracket was already bent to within 1/4” of the front driveshaft and I still could not get the pan out. Those bracket bolts are on the top side of the trans, so I looked for an easier solution. I could tell that removing the cable would not give me the clearance needed, so I ended up gently bending the heat shield that is between the trans pan and cat about an inch toward the cat. I was then able to get the pan out no sweat. I decided to bend it vs removing the heat shield bolts, as they looked really rusty and I did not want to end up fixing stripped bolts there too.

If you use a fluid extractor, the tube may not get to the bottom of the pan due to a plastic piece at the end of the dipstick that distributes the fluid when pouring it in. I got about 3L out of the dipstick and then when I unbolted the pan, there was still another 2L (2 inches deep) of fluid in the pan. I ended up using my Mityvac to remove the remaining fluid from the pan while it was still lodged in (before I bent the heat shield). I just held the hose in with one hand and had a helper give a few pumps to get the siphon started. If you don’t do it like this, be sure to prepare for 2L of trans fluid to need to go somewhere before fully removing the pan.

Like others have mentioned, do yourself a favor and leave the round trans filter gasket alone. Attempting removal without the dedicated tool will force you to have to bend it with a tool that will mar the aluminum surface in the valve body (because the bending process itself requires leverage and the only place to get said leverage is from the valve body). Just remove the trans filter and replace it.

Good luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BWASTEEZE