Belts and pulleys/tensioner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
14RamHemiSport

14RamHemiSport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh wow! thanks or all that help guys. Yeah the more i looked into this and watched whatever videos i could, it looks very straight forward. I have yet to give a real good look at everything. From what i remember, i believe the serpentine tensioner had some movement to it. I checked out Rock Auto (Gates = AC Delco correct?) and i can buy a kit that comes with the serp tensioner, the serp belt (HD belt), idler pulley, the stretch fit ac belt and tool for just under $100. Being that the 09 denali uses the stretch fit belt, that would suggest there is not tensioner correct? There is only the ac compressor and the crankshaft pulley. Are either of these needing to be replaced?

I watched a video showing that tool work. Super simple. Im sure you could make that work with some sort of object, but for $6.50 its worth buying. Again, thanks for all the input guys. Greatly appreciate it all.

OP
OP
14RamHemiSport

14RamHemiSport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
An initial chirp noise is not a sign of coming failure so I would get the AC Delco tensioners and idlers and wait for shipping. I did it all when I did my water pump and thermostat. I have used the Gatorback belts and had no problems and have seen many threads about how they are the superior belt to get but I just got the AC Delco belts and all went great on reassembly. This is the very first time I have heard of a self tensioning belt. IMO, that is some crazy stuff. Old hat to some of you though.

I understand these things (like any other brand) can make noise for a while. I just like to stay ahead. I dont want my wife to get stranded with the kids. So if i can get something done i want to. Also, i dont have a garage and temps are dropping here in Maine. So any free time i can get i need to use it. How did you know to replace your water pump? or did you just do it while in there?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The water pump was leaking coolant out of the weep hole. The serp belt had to come off for access and after buying it I did not know the age of everything and did see some small cracks starting on the ribs of the belt. I had known about the belt noise and tensioner/idler replacement stories so that was the perfect time to do it. No extra labor except for the a/c belt parts. I feel really fortunate that my 2002 with 159k on it has no leaks, anywhere. I probably just jinxed myself saying that. :(

thompsoj22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
california native "REPUBLICAN" high desert
Somthing i was unaware of is that AC DELCO tensioner's have a built in damping mechanism to minimize the torque effect on the AC compressor as it cycles on and off "violently" , it is also incorporated into the alt tensioner. Just a thought, dont buy the super cheap "CHINA" look alikes that dont have the damper. I never understood why american autos didnt incorporate the european compressor that is "allways on" it runs at like 2 or 3 percent effectiveness when off to keep the system lubricated, they use no clutch so there is no noticeable on/off "clutching" while in use, simply some sort of valving that changes as directed by the thermostat control.

Last edited:
OP
OP
14RamHemiSport

14RamHemiSport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Somthing i was unaware of is that AC DELCO tensioner's have a built in damping mechanism to minimize the torque effect on the AC compressor as it cycles on and off "violently" , it is also incorporated into the alt tensioner. Just a thought, dont buy the super cheap "CHINA" look alikes that dont have the damper. I never understood why american autos didnt incorporate the european compressor that is "allways on" it runs at like 2 or 3 percent effectiveness when off to keep the system lubricated, they use no clutch so there is no noticeable on/off while in use, simply some sort of valving that changes as directed by the thermostat control.

thats kind of why i started this thread. I really wanted to do this this weekend but i was not sure of quality of local parts. i guess i should know since i would never put advance/oreilly (Chinese) etc parts on my truck. isnt Ac Delco rebranded gates stuff? So gates tensioners are high quality? Rock auto has gates stuff, no ac delco listed for this stuff. They have dayco as well, but from what i gather gates is better quality.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
thats kind of why i started this thread. I really wanted to do this this weekend but i was not sure of quality of local parts. i guess i should know since i would never put advance/oreilly (Chinese) etc parts on my truck. isnt Ac Delco rebranded gates stuff? So gates tensioners are high quality? Rock auto has gates stuff, no ac delco listed for this stuff. They have dayco as well, but from what i gather gates is better quality.

Ok, unless I missed it somewhere in this thread I did not see where you gave us an engine size. I do see AC Delco parts available at Rock Auto for a 5.3 but not for a 6.2 engine. Is that the engine you have or is it just that all Denali's have a 6.2? The Gates quality is great as well.

Ok, since I don't have a GMC I did not know that the Denali engine is a 6.2, just looked it up. You get old, like me, you start assuming, but in the future please humor me and give me an engine size.

thompsoj22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
california native "REPUBLICAN" high desert

ACDELCO 38159 {#88996998} Professional Info
Air Conditioning

ACDELCO 38158 {#88929140} Professional Info Heart.png
Main Drive

It is there, If you youtube the tensioner pulleys for acdelco they have a patent on the spring and damper. Im sure that gates is comparable?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RanchoTexas