Belltech 2/4" kit installed but want a smoother ride

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

m1949

LS364/450
Reaction score
Presently, my 06 is setup with a Belltech 2/4" drop kit including their Street Performance shocks with free travel mod and airride delete. All other suspension has been rebuilt using OE parts. The ride is a bit too stiff for my liking when driving on bad roads (of which there are plenty around here). Please share your recommendations for smoother riding shocks that will work with this setup. Thanks and Happy New Year!

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Presently, my 06 is setup with a Belltech 2/4" drop kit including their Street Performance shocks with free travel mod and airride delete. All other suspension has been rebuilt using OE parts. The ride is a bit too stiff for my liking when driving on bad roads (of which there are plenty around here). Please share your recommendations for smoother riding shocks that will work with this setup. Thanks and Happy New Year!

I, too, find the Belltech shock valving to be a bit too "sporty" for what I want. Bilstein 4600 series seems to always be the top recommendation. Since the front is dropped with spindles, you'd just need stock direct-replacement shocks for the front. For the rear, you might need to contact the manufacturer. What you'd need are shocks that match what would be a direct replacement for a stock Escalade, but shorter. A 4" shorter shock is a bit of a tall order. But if you have shock extenders, which return 2" of the lost travel, you'd only need a 2" shorter shock.

OP
OP
m1949

m1949

LS364/450
Reaction score
I, too, find the Belltech shock valving to be a bit too "sporty" for what I want. Bilstein 4600 series seems to always be the top recommendation. Since the front is dropped with spindles, you'd just need stock direct-replacement shocks for the front. For the rear, you might need to contact the manufacturer. What you'd need are shocks that match what would be a direct replacement for a stock Escalade, but shorter. A 4" shorter shock is a bit of a tall order. But if you have shock extenders, which return 2" of the lost travel, you'd only need a 2" shorter shock.
Thanks. The belltech kit I used includes rear shock extenders. I'm not sure of their length, but I seem to recall being told their function is to maintain the same shock travel distance and geometry for air ride for those who wish to keep it. If this is right wouldn't a Tahoe OEM equivilent shock work? Did I misunderstand? Can you recommend a smoother riding shock? Would Belltech Nitro 2 shocks be less harsh than the Street Performance shocks I running now? Thanks

Last edited:

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. The belltech kit I used includes rear shock extenders. I'm not sure of their length, but I seem to recall being told their function is to maintain the same shock travel distance and geometry for air ride for those who wish to keep it. If this is right wouldn't a Tahoe OEM equivilent shock work? Did I misunderstand? Can you recommend a smoother riding shock? Would Belltech Nitro 2 shocks be less harsh than the Street Performance shocks I running now? Thanks

To expand on the extenders, there are two styles- a 1" and a 2". When you lower the rear, the shocks are compressed by that amount. If you lower it 1", they're compressed 1" and you lose 1" of travel. Three inch drop = 3" of lost shock travel. The extenders lower the lower shock mounting point by 1" or 2", returning that much to the travel.

If you have a 3" drop and you install 2" extenders, the shock will only be compressed 1". Four inch drop with 2" extenders = 2" compression. Now, if you have shocks that are 2" shorter than stock ("drop shocks") and you install 2" extenders, that's a gain of 4" of travel. With a 4" drop, this would be like there's no drop as far as the shock's travel is concerned.

So, they don't "maintain" any factory shock travel (for air ride or otherwise) unless you only dropped the rear 2". The air ride system uses ride height sensors that will respond with changes far less than 2".

None of this matters in your case if it all has been deleted. You just need shocks appropriate for your drop. If the front is with spindles, then no travel range has been altered and you can run OE-replacement shocks. The rear has lost whatever your drop amount is, but regained whatever the extenders added. If it has been dropped 4" but you have 2" extenders, the distance between the shock's upper and lower mounting points is still 2" shorter than stock. Better than being 4" shorter! Stock shocks would be compressed 2". If you get shocks that are 2" shorter than stock, then they won't be compressed and will operate in your Escalade as if it isn't lowered. You might be able to run stock-length shocks if you never tow or carry heavy loads either in the cargo hold or trailer tongue weight. Stock-length shocks on a 4" drop would probably be bottomed out (fully compressed). The extenders will regain 2" of that, so they'll be about 2" from bottoming out. That's not a lot of travel distance, but could be enough if you never carry loads and don't ramp off any big humps or dips at speed.

I have no personal experience with the Nitro shocks. I've only read of bad reviews and how much better the SP shocks were. I'd aim for Bilstein. If those are out of your budget, I've read that the KYB Gas-A-Just shocks are good. Just stay away from the KYB Excel-G. There's another I've read about on the forums, Monroe or Gabriel, I think, that had good reviews. I don't know what model line/series, though. As for fitment, whichever you're going with, contact them and tell 'em you need a rear shock for an '06 Tahoe LT or LTZ, non-AutoRide and non-ALC (Auto Level Control AKA "air ride"), but 2" shorter. Hopefully, they can pull the mounting, dimensions and valving specs for the shock they have for that vehicle and find one that matches those specs but is 2" shorter.

If you want my actual experience, well, here goes...

I have Belltech SP struts in the front. As I said earlier, they're too firm for what I want. I'll deal with it in time. The SP shocks I had for the rear were way too stiff. I had some Bilstein 4600 series shocks laying in a parts pile from a past project- an '01 Jeep Cherokee (XJ). Their dimensions were exactly the same as the Belltech SP shocks that were appropriate (when coupled with the 2" extenders) for my 4" (actually 4.5") drop. The only problems were that they had a bar pin for the upper mount and I had no idea of the valving. I'd assume they'd be a little too soft since they're for a smaller and lighter vehicle. Anyway, I modded the ends to be a direct bolt-in for my Tahoe. I think they feel and work great. I just need to do something with the front now. From how well the rear works, I'm naturally inclined to use 4600 series Bilstein struts in the front.

OP
OP
m1949

m1949

LS364/450
Reaction score
Thanks for these details. I've been doing a bit of research on the Belltech website to compare the length of SP drop and OE shocks. What I found surprises me. 2410FF is the model SP shocks for a lowered 2006 Tahoe or Yukon (they don't offer a stand alone drop shock for Escalades; which is odd since they offer a kit that includes shocks). Anyway, the SP drop shock is 19.75" long. Their OEM shock is model SP2414FF. It is 20" long! And there is no difference in length between the OE Nitro and the ND Nitro. Both are 20" So now I'm more confused than a termite in a yoyo! I don't know which way is up! But I guess, based on your explanation I should be looking for an 18" shock with a softer road feel and can be mounted on an 06 Escalade. ...... where to star?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for these details. I've been doing a bit of research on the Belltech website to compare the length of SP drop and OE shocks. What I found surprises me. 2410FF is the model SP shocks for a lowered 2006 Tahoe or Yukon (they don't offer a stand alone drop shock for Escalades; which is odd since they offer a kit that includes shocks). Anyway, the SP drop shock is 19.75" long. Their OEM shock is model SP2414FF. It is 20" long! And there is no difference in length between the OE Nitro and the ND Nitro. Both are 20" So now I'm more confused than a termite in a yoyo! I don't know which way is up! But I guess, based on your explanation I should be looking for an 18" shock with a softer road feel and can be mounted on an 06 Escalade. ...... where to star?

The 2410FF is the one spec'ed for a 4" drop. I've never tried that one. I got the 2412FF since I was trying to maintain stock travel and size. That shock is WAY too stiff. I think it's for a truck with leaf springs. The Bilstein 4600 shocks I modded to use are what have the same dimensions as the 2410FF. No idea how the valving would compare. Based on how the SP struts ride, I'd assume the SP would ride similar. I wouldn't even waste time looking at the Nitro shocks.

I'm thinking the dimensions you're seeing (under "Weight & Measures" tab, right?) are the box specs for shipping info. The shocks aren't 3" x 3", but the boxes are around that.

Summit has the specs listed:

Belltech 2410FF-
Extended Length (in.): 20.50 ; Collapsed Length (in.): 13.00

Belltech SP2414FF-
Extended Length (in.): 24.50 ; Collapsed Length (in.): 15.00

I'd ignore their listings, or lack thereof, for an Escalade. The Escalade has the ALC and AutoRide, so they "don't have" a shock for the Escalade. Yours having all that stuff deleted makes it just like a regular Tahoe, so shop as if that's what you have.

If the stock shock has an extended length of 24.5" and collapsed length of 13", then, for a 4" drop, you should be looking for a shock with an extended length around 20.5" and collapsed length around 11", 13" if you have 2" extenders. The 2410FF fits the bill, dimensionally. But, ride quality is a factor and you (and I) are unimpressed by that of the SP shocks. This is why I suggested contacting shock manufacturers and telling them you need a shock for an '06 Tahoe without ALC or AutoRide, but 2"-4" shorter. Fitment is one thing and, as you see, those numbers are readily available. But they can compare the valving of what they have spec'ed for such a vehicle with their other offerings, but to the dimensions you're requesting. This is all for the rear shock. The front shock can be whatever complements the rear shock, but in a stock height/direct-replacement part.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
labans