battery tray removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

95escahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My battery tray is rusted a lil bit so one of my spring/summer projects is to take it out clean it up and paint it, does anyone know how you go about removing it? looks like there is a bolt holding it down but not sure where it goes to and or how you get at it, thanks for the help in advance

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
There are a few bolts that need to be worked. Some on the tray and some on support brackets. Some have the nuts accessible in the wheel well and just behind grill I think.

OP
OP
95escahoe

95escahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are a few bolts that need to be worked. Some on the tray and some on support brackets. Some have the nuts accessible in the wheel well and just behind grill I think.

thanks for the info, found a replacement one online to get an idea of where the bolts go, think I figured it out just gotta take a look next time I am under the hood

KPOD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bumping up an old thread instead of making a new one. I'm going to remove my driver side battery tray to replace both washer pumps, I have the one bolt out that is on the inside of the engine bay, but I see two bolts in the wheel well. Do both of these need to come out to remove the battery tray, or just one of the two?

_Dylan_

STAY FROSTY
Reaction score
#9 is for the support bracket, the tray only has two bolts. One in the wheel well and one in the tray.

The tank has two bolts also, one on the filler neck and one on the top of the tank mounted to the fender. Then pull on it real hard to get it out.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
True. Sorry was thinking of wrong part. Probably because I screwed with once. Were you able to get the one that mounts to support bracket. Maybe my hand issue to big for that spot.

KPOD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The bolt in the tray looks like it is missing or broken off. I got the one that goes into the wheel well, didn't remove either of the two that are in the wheel well going inwards to the engine bay though. Tray still won't budge. The left side starts coming up, but the right side (closer to the back of the bay) still stays budged down which is why I thought there was another bolt or something.

_Dylan_

STAY FROSTY
Reaction score
True. Sorry was thinking of wrong part. Probably because I screwed with once. Were you able to get the one that mounts to support bracket. Maybe my hand issue to big for that spot.

I never took the support bracket off. If I had to guess by that diagram I'd say there is a bolt inside the wheel well and one on the rad support

squeasel

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am stumped by the passenger side Battery Tray (1996 Tahoe 5.7L). I would like to remove, repaint and re-install. I have freed 5 of 7 bolts (4 access in the wheel well and one obvious in the fender). There are two remaining bolts that attach the "foot" horizontally to a support wall. The bolt heads are below the tray and I am unable to access them. Is there a trick or tool that might help? Can the tray (horizontal portion) be removed from the foot (vertical portion)? Much thanks for any advice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan

Latest posts