Battery Replacement a Professional Job?!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2591tdj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got mine from Batteries Plus also. If you order on-line and pick it up in the store you save 10%.

It’s a PITA to replace but not difficult. The hardest part is tilting the OEM onto its side and pulling it out without the handle on it. There are YouTube videos showing the entire process. No need to remove the radiator recovery tank, just the 2 braces.

I may have been overly cautious but I hooked up a spare battery to the terminals with jumper cables before removing the cables from the OEM battery. I thought this would best preserve the computer settings.

Gak9sar5

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2018 Yukon XL Denali. Wife took it in for a leaking tire. They tested her battery while they had the car - curtesy check. They said it is a bit weak. I went on to Advance Auto's site to price a replacement, and they have it listed as a 'professional only' job. I've torn a few older vehicles down to the rails and started over. I looked it up on YouTube and they guy shows swapping it out in under 5 minutes. What is the professional part?! Does it require some kind of computer wizardry?

Also, what battery are you guys running? I usually throw the cheapest one available in my cars, but this one is the wife's. I spend a good amount of time out of town, so I like to spend extra to keep her vehicle reliable.
They require you to attach the save the knowledge unit to your vehicle as to not loose CPU information.. ( that was in plain English, not mechanical equipment). Goto Interstate batteries and they do it free plus best is $300

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mountie - that’s a helluva idea! lol.

In reality it sounds like you’re mechanically inclined so it shouldn’t be that big of a deal for you. I’ve replaced mine twice…both almost exactly at the 3.5-4 year mark. Two braces, the distribution block on top, and as people have said…about the only way to get it out and back in is to tilt it on its side…other than that…15-20 min job max…
I get it.... yea, swapping out this battery is easy. Last year, I had a AAA battery that died, and I was away from home. They replaced it free. But ...2 things..... One, I now have a better battery and I carry a big jumper . Two, AAA roadside is VERY unreliable and could take HOURS to show up.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They won’t do any batteries that have fuse blocks on top of them because they’re easy to break.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KeyMoSteel