Base Radio Front Speaker Wiring.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BourbonNcigars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone know what the wiring setup is with a non-bose system that has tweeters in the A-pillars? What I need to know is, is there a full range signal going to just the door speaker? So if I disconnect the A-pillar tweet and put a coaxial speaker in the door, I'll get a full signal to that lone door speaker.

I know that when I put my hand over the tweeter, the highs are muffled and none appear to be coming from the lower door speakers. So it's either wired for that or has a crossover built in (which I'd think unlikely given the price point). Aftermarket radio is currently powering stock speakers. Thanks.

*I'm trying to avoid pulling the door panel just to find out.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
I believe the non-Bose and Bose are both wired the same.

The front door speaker and tweeter are ran parallel and the tweeter has a capacitor on it to filter out the lower frequencies. You should have full range at the door, it's just that the stock door speakers don't have a tweet in the center so you don't get much highs out of them.

I put Infinity speakers in my truck and the fronts (coaxial) have a tweeter in the center that actually has a switch, thankfully, to attenuate them so they aren't overbearing.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the door speakers are down pretty low if you disconnect the upper tweeter your going to loose a lot of the highs even if you use a coaxial

OP
OP
BourbonNcigars

BourbonNcigars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, guys. I ended up finding out last night on Youtube by watching install videos. Now just trying to decide what direction to go in for speakers. I'm pretty sensitive to highs so popping in some coaxials and disabling the A-pillar tweets may not be bad for me. I used coaxials in my 2002 and they were fine (for me).

kbuskill

Reaction score
Thanks, guys. I ended up finding out last night on Youtube by watching install videos. Now just trying to decide what direction to go in for speakers. I'm pretty sensitive to highs so popping in some coaxials and disabling the A-pillar tweets may not be bad for me. I used coaxials in my 2002 and they were fine (for me).

You could also install a resistor on the tweeter to attenuate it if you wanted to keep them functional with less intensity... if you were so inclined.

OP
OP
BourbonNcigars

BourbonNcigars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could also install a resistor on the tweeter to attenuate it if you wanted to keep them functional with less intensity... if you were so inclined.
Guess I'll just go ahead and ask here, but is there a "best" way to run a sub amp wire in these particular SUV's (like a certain place in the firewall)? Just to save me the trouble of digging around. Sorry...I came down with laziness a few decades ago.

kbuskill

Reaction score
Guess I'll just go ahead and ask here, but is there a "best" way to run a sub amp wire in these particular SUV's (like a certain place in the firewall)? Just to save me the trouble of digging around. Sorry...I came down with laziness a few decades ago.

Remember the pic I posted for you of the bottom of the carpet???

That area that is circled in the pic is where I drilled a hole and used a rubber grommet for the power lead for my amp. That will bring you out underneath the battery.

Just pull your wheel liner back so you can see where your drilling so you don't hit the rear A/C lines.

OP
OP
BourbonNcigars

BourbonNcigars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Remember the pic I posted for you of the bottom of the carpet???

That area that is circled in the pic is where I drilled a hole and used a rubber grommet for the power lead for my amp. That will bring you out underneath the battery.

Just pull your wheel liner back so you can see where your drilling so you don't hit the rear A/C lines.
I do indeed (now that you mentioned it). Many thanks.

corona718

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I believe the non-Bose and Bose are both wired the same.

The front door speaker and tweeter are ran parallel and the tweeter has a capacitor on it to filter out the lower frequencies. You should have full range at the door, it's just that the stock door speakers don't have a tweet in the center so you don't get much highs out of them...

anyone have an idea on where the speaker wire leads split, between door and pillars? for both frontdoor/a-pillar and rear door/d-pillar pairs?

I bought a new set of components and if I could I want to keep the stock wiring and hook up crossovers to where ever this wire split happens.