Ball Joints and Sway Bar links

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MarshMarlowe

Reaction score
I recently brought my wife's 2012 LS 2WD 5.3 Tahoe in to the dealer for the Takata Airbag recall. They did their 63,000 point inspection, and noted the Sway Bar link was broken, and found play in the lower ball joints.

Their repair quotes were typically expensive for dealer rates. I've been researching how to repair this myself, and I'm not sure if it's best to replace just the ball joints (I'll have to either buy or rent a press tool), or replace the entire lower control arm assemblies. Dollars and sense, what do you all suggest? Where's the best place / brands to buy the control arms or ball joints? Same question for the sway bar links.

Thanks!

20220814_194000.jpg

Attachments

• 20220814_194025.jpg
    20220814_194025.jpg
    372.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 20220814_194034.jpg
    20220814_194034.jpg
    385.7 KB · Views: 21
  • 20220804_190633.jpg
    20220804_190633.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 23

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

My recommendation is to avoid dealers in favor of small local repair shops whenever possible, and you will save aa ton of money.

You can buy the sway bar end links from Rockauto.com, and they are cheap (around $25 each), and you can easily replace them yourself.

You can replace all 4 control arms, with ball joints included, for about $600 in parts. Depending upon your mechanic experience level, they are not too hard to replace. Worst case, purchase the parts yourself and have a small local repair shop perform the replacement.

Regarding the two 'seal' items, do you see any fluid leaks in either of those areas? If you don't see any leaking, then don't replace them at this time.

Other knowledgeable folks on this Forum will chime in.

OP
OP
MarshMarlowe

MarshMarlowe

Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

My recommendation is to avoid dealers in favor of small local repair shops whenever possible, and you will save aa ton of money.

You can buy the sway bar end links from Rockauto.com, and they are cheap (around $25 each), and you can easily replace them yourself.

You can replace all 4 control arms, with ball joints included, for about $600 in parts. Depending upon your mechanic experience level, they are not too hard to replace. Worst case, purchase the parts yourself and have a small local repair shop perform the replacement.

Regarding the two 'seal' items, do you see any fluid leaks in either of those areas? If you don't see any leaking, then don't replace them at this time.

Other knowledgeable folks on this Forum will chime in.

Thanks Joseph. I posted a separate thread about the rear end leaks here

Do you recommend going with an entire lower control arm assembly versus just replacing the ball joints?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220821-143357_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20220821-143357_Photos.jpg
    581.6 KB · Views: 4

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently brought my wife's 2012 LS 2WD 5.3 Tahoe in to the dealer for the Takata Airbag recall. They did their 63,000 point inspection, and noted the Sway Bar link was broken, and found play in the lower ball joints.

Their repair quotes were typically expensive for dealer rates. I've been researching how to repair this myself, and I'm not sure if it's best to replace just the ball joints (I'll have to either buy or rent a press tool), or replace the entire lower control arm assemblies. Dollars and sense, what do you all suggest? Where's the best place / brands to buy the control arms or ball joints? Same question for the sway bar links.

Thanks!

View attachment 378614

IMO, I'd replace the arms. You'll get new bushings along with ball joints and it'd be so much easier and faster. It'd just be an unbolt-and-swap ordeal. The replacement end links are a much better design and they're cheap. These, alone, would make a marked improvement in handling. While you're at it, I'd strongly suggest replacing the sway bar bushings. They are also a cheap and easy upgrade that you'll feel.

How many miles are on this rig?

Looking through my past Amazon orders, I have Moog K200222 and Moog K6408 for the sway bar bushings. The end links I have are irrelevant to you because mine is lowered and I bought some for another vehicle because I needed shorter links.

For the brand of arms, I can't recommend AC Delco OE (Original Equipment) enough. They're likely the most expensive, though. If your Tahoe has lower miles and the bushings are fine, then it might be cheaper to rent (actually borrow cuz you get all your money back) a ball joint press and just swap the joints. Just the same, I'd aim for AC Delco OE ball joints. Be aware that there are three tiers of AC Delco parts: OE, Gold and Silver. OE is what is installed at the factory. Gold is a quality aftermarket replacement that is a 'good' substitute for OE, but might not be quite as good as OE or, in some rare cases, actually be an improved design. It's often not quite as good as OE. Silver is the lower end aftermarket that is basically just a way to have a new part in place of the old and is price-driven rather than quality-driven. Also note that the previous names for these tiers, (in "descending" order) was Original, Professional and Advantage.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MarshMarlowe

MarshMarlowe

Reaction score
IMO, I'd replace the arms. You'll get new bushings along with ball joints and it'd be so much easier and faster. It'd just be an unbolt-and-swap ordeal. The replacement end links are a much better design and they're cheap. These, alone, would make a marked improvement in handling. While you're at it, I'd strongly suggest replacing the sway bar bushings. They are also a cheap and easy upgrade that you'll feel.

How many miles are on this rig?
96k miles

Reaction score
I'm going through this myself with my 2012 Denali.

I purchased complete new lower control arms with ball joints already installed. They're about $150 each for good brands, but can be bought for about $90 each for cheaper brands. I decided to replace the entire arm because it also has all new bushings.

I had a 2011 a few years ago that I replaced just the lower ball joints on. It wasn't too bad of a job, but I do remember having a heck of a time getting the old ones off. After using an air chisel to squish back the retaining lip around it, it took a whole bunch of beating it with a 3lb sledge to knock it out. New ones went in no problem with the press.

Replacing the entire arm is easier I think. You don't have to remove the entire knuckle and brake. The upper control arm will hold them up.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks Joseph. I posted a separate thread about the rear end leaks here

Do you recommend going with an entire lower control arm assembly versus just replacing the ball joints?
Entire control arms.

OP
OP
MarshMarlowe

MarshMarlowe

Reaction score
I really appreciate all the helpful posts from everyone. I'm shopping RA and Amazon - I see Moog has a RK (cheaper) and a CK series LCA assembly. I didn't immediately see a GM genuine part that wasn't for a 4WD. Maybe I'm missing something?..

This is what I have in the cart with Amazon
MOOG RK620888 Control Arm and Ball Joint Assembly https://a.co/d/hp98RvZ

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlbertoTahoe2011