Bad start to road trip!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
hertahoe

hertahoe

Reaction score
Could be bad vehicle speed sensor flaking out and giving a bad reading to the abs module. My Tahoe has the rear axle speed sensors for the stability control and traction control. And it is an 06, you sure your 05 doesnt have them?
No traction control or stability control on mine. Still questioning if the two transfer cases are really interchangeable? Tech did say they put camera scope into case and found big shavings of metal. That is not a good sign after about 7 months. I haven't even drove it in auto or 4H since getting the new case. I did engage each settings though.

NORDFORD

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
No traction control or stability control on mine. Still questioning if the two transfer cases are really interchangeable? Tech did say they put camera scope into case and found big shavings of metal. That is not a good sign after about 7 months. I haven't even drove it in auto or 4H since getting the new case. I did engage each settings though.
How did they see big shavings of metal? Those scopes are great, but they can’t see in fluid unless it’s clear. The shavings would have to be above the fluid and they just happened to see them when they scoped it. I call BS.

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Big shavings of metal could be interfering with the magnetic pickup of the vss. I would pull it out and look for shavings on the sensor. I hate most shops, they tend to use the parts shotgun to fix problems anymore.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are referring to the NP246E Tcase, the early NP246E or the BW AWD Tcase. They are all intechangeable physically since they are all found in the GM K chassis. I have the Auto NP246E in my 03 Tahoes. My 05 Yukon Denali has BW since its AWD of course.
There will be a rear driveshaft speed sensor and a VSS(Vehicle Speed Sensor) on the Tcase on the NP246E(Formerly NVG-New Venture Gear).
How it works:

Last edited:
OP
OP
hertahoe

hertahoe

Reaction score
Here is the latest...Transmission shop is only going to warranty labor for rebuilding the case.:mad: I only have 3k miles on it since it was replaced. Auto shop thinks it was low on fluid and that caused some issues. They are going to tear into it tomorrow to see what is going on inside. That is not even enough miles to warrant a fluid check. Plus I didn't have any puddles of fluid on my driveway or garage! I looked at work order and they only gave me a 6 month warranty. But the shop manager told me he would give me a year warranty due to my situation. Of coarse this isn't in writing. I laugh because I was watching Judge Milian last night and was commenting about a a contract that wasn't in writing, just verbal - FML! Small claims court I guess...more time wasted!

OP
OP
hertahoe

hertahoe

Reaction score
Update - shop in Portland got go ahead to install new (serial# matched from low mileage used Tahoe). Got a call from initial shop saying they are picking up the whole bill! I was really surprised, because they were not wanting to cover bill. Only labor and half the case. I was already getting paperwork filled out for small claims. Upon removing old case, they only got .2 quarts of reddish/brown fluid:confused:. There was metal shavings on speed sensor. They think the other shop rebuilt case with cheap parts. I had maybe a few drops over the last 9 months in garage. I thought it was from fluid that had come from old case. Cousin drove me 2 hrs to shop. Then I see they curbed the hell outta my front right wheel! They will be paying to have it fixed! Drove back 2 hours with no issues. Today my wife goes to pickup our daughter from school and she calls saying speedo doesn't work - FML!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dvnt