Bad start to road trip!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could be bad vehicle speed sensor flaking out and giving a bad reading to the abs module. My Tahoe has the rear axle speed sensors for the stability control and traction control. And it is an 06, you sure your 05 doesnt have them?

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
They think when the transfer case was replaced (4/22) that the shop didn't calibrate it to truck.
I have never heard of such thing on the NBS body style.
Sound like the shop does not know what they are doing.
Scan keeps saying there is a speed sensor on the rear wheel but there is none. Only speed sensor is on top of transfer case.
You sure they are not getting confuse with the rear abs sensor.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
More bad news. Module put in, brakes bled, but ABS light came back on and speedo still bouncing. Truck can go over 40mph though. They think when the transfer case was replaced (4/22) that the shop didn't calibrate it to truck. If I drive it, more than likely, it will burn up new module. Another interesting issue. Scan keeps saying there is a speed sensor on the rear wheel but there is none. Only speed sensor is on top of transfer case. Now I'm getting concerned and pissed for the amount of time I am wasting. Looks like another night spent in hotel. FML

When people wanna kill the traction control in these things for burnouts or drifting, simply pulling the ABS fuse kills these systems. My thoughts are that if you pull the fuse and it drives like normal again, then this will (1) get you back on the road and (2) confirm that the ABS and/or TC system(s) are faulty. Just know that you won't have any of the safety systems, so don't tailgate or do any other risky driving.

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When people wanna kill the traction control in these things for burnouts or drifting, simply pulling the ABS fuse kills these systems. My thoughts are that if you pull the fuse and it drives like normal again, then this will (1) get you back on the road and (2) confirm that the ABS and/or TC system(s) are faulty. Just know that you won't have any of the safety systems, so don't tailgate or do any other risky driving.
While i agree, the bouncing speedo screams bad speed sensor to me. And if it is not synced with the from wheel sensors the abs will go bonkers.

OP
OP
hertahoe

hertahoe

Reaction score
So when they scanned the truck, it said there should be a rear speed sensor on rear wheel. I looked just as two different mechanics looked, nothing. But there is one on the top of the transfer case. Here is where it gets interesting. Tech ordered part associated with vin# and it wasn't the right part. Manager drove over to dist center to get right part. They gave him same one. Said it is for a manual transfer case...Is there a manual transfer case that would fit my Tahoe? Tech said there are some vids with the code that causes issue of ruining the control module. So I called up transmission shop and the guy says they are interchangeable. I think I got scammed.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So when they scanned the truck, it said there should be a rear speed sensor on rear wheel. I looked just as two different mechanics looked, nothing. But there is one on the top of the transfer case. Here is where it gets interesting. Tech ordered part associated with vin# and it wasn't the right part. Manager drove over to dist center to get right part. They gave him same one. Said it is for a manual transfer case...Is there a manual transfer case that would fit my Tahoe? Tech said there are some vids with the code that causes issue of ruining the control module. So I called up transmission shop and the guy says they are interchangeable. I think I got scammed.
By "manual", they mean that your Tcase does not have auto 4wd. You should just have 4Hi, 4Lo, N and 2wd for buttons. You should not have a "Auto" button at the top of the others. My (2) 03 Tahoe LT's have Auto, 4Hi, 4Lo, N and 2wd. And your VSS(Vehicle Speed Sensor) should be on your Tcase...Unless you have one of those funny German Tahoes. ;)

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While i agree, the bouncing speedo screams bad speed sensor to me. And if it is not synced with the from wheel sensors the abs will go bonkers.

I swear I read that the shop ruled out a speed sensor. Went back and re-read and saw that nothing like that was ever mentioned. *facepalm*

What you're saying makes sense.

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
By "manual", they mean that your Tcase does not have auto 4wd. You should just have 4Hi, 4Lo, N and 2wd for buttons. You should not have a "Auto" button at the top of the others. My (2) 03 Tahoe LT's have Auto, 4Hi, 4Lo, N and 2wd. And your VSS(Vehicle Speed Sensor) should be on your Tcase...Unless you have one of those funny German Tahoes. ;)
In fact you may have two sensors in the tail of the transfer case.

OP
OP
hertahoe

hertahoe

Reaction score
Mine does have an auto button. Don't make fun of German cars. I had an A4 B6 that was the reason for all my gray hair! :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willie110hh