Bad key fob range and rear view camera is not clear especially at night.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

penogg

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey everyone I'm new to this forum but recently purchased a 20/20 Yukon Denali. The only modifications that have been done to the car since we've had it is I added a radar detector and a dash cam. I took it to the local dealership here to have the problems diagnosed where the key fob has poor range I almost have to be on top of the car before it works even with new batteries. The other issue is the rear view camera it's not very clear,even at night. It's almost like it has an iris issue. I did read that there were two TSBs pertaining to these problems.

The dealer tells me that the TSBs don't pertain to my car and that the problems I'm experiencing or because of the "aftermarket" items that I added, The radar detector and the dash cam

Being an electronics all my life and working on cars most of my life I can't accept this and it sounds like total BS

Your thoughts?

Jeff_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The camera is complete dog. Sadly nothing I've seen that can be done to fix that.
The range on the fob blows regardless of if those other electronics are truly interfering or not. I hold the fob to my chest when I click it and use my body as a range extender. I'm sure this will give me cancer or something eventually.

Anyway, the dealer will just make up anything that places the blame elsewhere, don't bother taking the car to them short of the transmission falling out or throwing a rod through the side of the block.

slupie

Reaction score
Hey everyone I'm new to this forum but recently purchased a 20/20 Yukon Denali. The only modifications that have been done to the car since we've had it is I added a radar detector and a dash cam. I took it to the local dealership here to have the problems diagnosed where the key fob has poor range I almost have to be on top of the car before it works even with new batteries. The other issue is the rear view camera it's not very clear,even at night. It's almost like it has an iris issue. I did read that there were two TSBs pertaining to these problems.

The dealer tells me that the TSBs don't pertain to my car and that the problems I'm experiencing or because of the "aftermarket" items that I added, The radar detector and the dash cam

Being an electronics all my life and working on cars most of my life I can't accept this and it sounds like total BS

Your thoughts?
Dealer is full of s*&^. Backup camera is terrible in these especially at night, led backup lights help a little.

Do this to improve the fob range https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/2019-yukon-key-fob-range-blows-what-would-you-do.112937/

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The camera is complete dog. Sadly nothing I've seen that can be done to fix that.
The range on the fob blows regardless of if those other electronics are truly interfering or not. I hold the fob to my chest when I click it and use my body as a range extender. I'm sure this will give me cancer or something eventually.

Anyway, the dealer will just make up anything that places the blame elsewhere, don't bother taking the car to them short of the transmission falling out or throwing a rod through the side of the block.
On older trucks, GM said to hold the fob to your chin so that your head acts as a transmitter while pressing the buttons. It works!

OP
OP
P

penogg

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
WOW. Lot's of great info Thanks everyone!! The car is still at dealer and after some brow beating and showing the applicable TSB's pertaining to this they decided to look deeper into this.

OP
OP
P

penogg

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ok, an update on this: After going a few rounds with the dealer, I got them to acknowledge the problems with the key fob and rear camera. Fortunately the TSB's that I provided helped. They changed out the key fob amp and OMG it is soooo much better!!! They replaced the rear camera as well, it seems a bit better, and they also did a software update.

All I can say now is my wife is over the moon with the key fob improvement. So happy wife happy life:)

SpyShops212

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What was the software update about? I had the same issue with my rear camera showing lines at night when cars where behind me with there headlight on. I am not under warranty so I ended up changing my camera lens for the mirror camera and all is good again. I would not use the rear washer fluid for the rear camera because the chemicals from the washer fluid ruins the plastic lens. I was able to replace the lens for the rear camera without removing it and no tools. I purchased the lens at Microcenter. I been installing cmos and ccd camera for 25 years so I kind of know how they work. Usually the camera is good but the lens or power supply is the problem.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KeyMoSteel