Backup and dash cams

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had to replace my backup camera a few months ago when the camera that came with my clarion headunit took a crap. I hated the little bracket that it mounted on to the middle of my rear bumper step pads. I wake alwats knoming it going in and out of the tailgate and the stupid little screws holding it to the bracket never tightened it down to hold it in place. The new camera wasn’t flat on the bottom like the other one was. So I had to get a little creative on how to remount it. But I think my solution worked quite well. I took the license plate mount that came with the new camera and attached it to the backside of my step pads on the bumper with a couple holes drilled and screws going into the pads. Used the little brackets that came with it, to mount the camera to the license plate bracket and basically hung the camera over the top of the step pads. Here’s what it looks like, looks good, tucks under the tailgate perfectly and has a really good field of view.

99700B62-7616-448F-8411-DE31190FFC62.jpeg

OP
OP
Sam Harris

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had to replace my backup camera a few months ago when the camera that came with my clarion headunit took a crap. I hated the little bracket that it mounted on to the middle of my rear bumper step pads. I wake alwats knoming it going in and out of the tailgate and the stupid little screws holding it to the bracket never tightened it down to hold it in place. The new camera wasn’t flat on the bottom like the other one was. So I had to get a little creative on how to remount it. But I think my solution worked quite well. I took the license plate mount that came with the new camera and attached it to the backside of my step pads on the bumper with a couple holes drilled and screws going into the pads. Used the little brackets that came with it, to mount the camera to the license plate bracket and basically hung the camera over the top of the step pads. Here’s what it looks like, looks good, tucks under the tailgate perfectly and has a really good field of view.

View attachment 233219
That looks great Chase! What camera did you use?

OP
OP
Sam Harris

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, ordered this backup camera, mostly based on design, and reviews: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01HZM70NU?ref=ppx_pt2_mob_b_prod_image

Now I’m trying to figure out the dash camera.. [emoji16] Ordered rca cables for a subwoofer amp ( I haven’t purchased yet..) and I’ll be adding the factory enclosure to the driver rear space eventually (thanks to @Fosscore for locating, pulling, and shipping this to me!!) I’m trying to get most of the additional cabling figured out now, so I don’t have to pull and reinstall the HU every time I want to change things up. For now, the plan is to use all factory speakers, and Bose amp, except for adding a second sub + amp in the rear location that was used on the 2000-2002 (I think) GMT800’s.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, ordered this backup camera, mostly based on design, and reviews: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01HZM70NU?ref=ppx_pt2_mob_b_prod_image

Now I’m trying to figure out the dash camera.. [emoji16] Ordered rca cables for a subwoofer amp ( I haven’t purchased yet..) and I’ll be adding the factory enclosure to the driver rear space eventually (thanks to @Fosscore for locating, pulling, and shipping this to me!!) I’m trying to get most of the additional cabling figured out now, so I don’t have to pull and reinstall the HU every time I want to change things up. For now, the plan is to use all factory speakers, and Bose amp, except for adding a second sub + amp in the rear location that was used on the 2000-2002 (I think) GMT800’s.

I like that one, it hides the bracket behind the plate, sweet!!! :happy107::happy160:

OP
OP
Sam Harris

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trying to find a dash cam with an aux out.. not very easy with the plethora of Chinese products out there.. sheesh.

ETA: I think I’m giving up on that.. they don’t really seem to be intended to display on a HU, but rather the crappy little screen they come with. And of course the key is having the recorded video, so it can be watched on a nice monitor if needed. Oh well, no rush on this one if it’s not going to be plugged into the HU.

Last edited:

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score

:waytogo:

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I want to add a few more questions to this post lol

I have my headliner out and would like to route some wires to back of truck off the headliner harness while it's out and perhaps down the D Pillar, not entirely sure what all I need for cables for a back camera (12V, Video +, Video -, and possibly power ground)? Not sure if the typical cameras require more. I'd like to mount camera behind the hatch glass if possible / works.

Thanks!

OP
OP
Sam Harris

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I want to add a few more questions to this post lol

I have my headliner out and would like to route some wires to back of truck off the headliner harness while it's out and perhaps down the D Pillar, not entirely sure what all I need for cables for a back camera (12V, Video +, Video -, and possibly power ground)? Not sure if the typical cameras require more. I'd like to mount camera behind the hatch glass if possible / works.

Thanks!
AFAIK, they all come with a small cable with either hard-wired end to the camera, or a plug-end on each. Just power and ground should be it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645