AWD vs 4WD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

W8TVI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I had both a '91 4-door 4wd GMC Jimmy, and a '94 4-door AWD Olds Bravada.
The only difference between the two in drive train is the transfer case. Everything else is built like our trucks.
Both had the same turning radius, and the Bravada actually got a lot better MPG than the Jimmy. The Jimmy would get 18MPG highway at best, and the Bravada would get 19MPG in the city at worst, and normally got 21 MPG. It was a great winter SUV. Drove through bumper high snow to get to work one winter like it wasn't there.

Back on topic, I haven't driven a Denali, but I never felt like my '00 Yukon XL was hard to get into any place, or didn't turn tight enough.
...but that could have something to do with the fact that I learned how to drive in a '94 Chevy Suburban.

The difference between a pitman arm and a rack and pinion setup. However, the turning radius is actually smaller for the GMT800s but effort/feel is the opposite.

My 2000 Yukon XL is rack and pinion. IIRC, they switched to rack and pinion when they went from the square body to the OBS body style.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's been my experience that the bigger they are, the easier they are to drive. I used to haul cars with an F-SuperDuty, I-beam front axle with 10-lug wheels and whipped that thing all over the place and it had a double sleeper cab to boot.

OP
OP
latvius

latvius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For gas mileage my Denali gets 13 and my Tahoe 14 mpg. I love the Denali expect for turning, it leaves tire marks in the driveway where it's sliding the tires across the pavers.

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
How’s your tire tread? If one side has considerable tread compared to the other, side to side or front to rear can cause binding in the drive train. Tires with smaller tread will spin faster than a tire with more tread.

OP
OP
latvius

latvius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They look the same from one side to the other, but front to back is different. The front outside edges are wearing faster but right front and left front look to wear the same.

bigblackdog

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a question for the Denali AWD owners. I have a Tahoe 4WD and a Denali AWD both 2005 models. My wife and I love the Denali but hate the turning radius.
My 4WD Tahoe can turn on a dime, the Denali you have to make a 5 point turn.
I know the AWD is supposed to be harder to turn but sometimes I wonder if AWD is stuck on or something.

I have not been able to drive another AWD so I don't know if mine is "normal" or not but thought I would ask.
Yes, the AWD is on when turning. It's AWD and it's proportionately always on. Your other truck, is it equipped with a 4 button 4WD selector, with an AWD option? If so equipped, you can select 2WD and disengage the front axles allowing the wheels to turn at a sharper angle thus reducing the "turns on an acre" to just a dime. The Darnali is never going to give that satisfaction and offers only 4Hi and 4Lo options, but it will always get you home in bad weather.

OP
OP
latvius

latvius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes the other truck (Tahoe) has 4WD button with I think it is listed as AUTO not AWD. I'll look when I go to lunch here in a min.

I gotcha on the AWD explanation, was just wondering if my experience is abnormal to others who have AWD Denali's. I guess it is a subjective question, I guess I need to drive someone else's or have them drive mine to see if they are similar in turning.