AWD vs 4WD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

latvius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a question for the Denali AWD owners. I have a Tahoe 4WD and a Denali AWD both 2005 models. My wife and I love the Denali but hate the turning radius.
My 4WD Tahoe can turn on a dime, the Denali you have to make a 5 point turn.
I know the AWD is supposed to be harder to turn but sometimes I wonder if AWD is stuck on or something.

I have not been able to drive another AWD so I don't know if mine is "normal" or not but thought I would ask.

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it shouldnt be any different, the "AWD" is always on but its an open differential in the front, no way for it to lock unless something is mechanically messed up. any other mechanical difference? larger tires? alignment happen to be a full rotation off or anything like that? If the rear diff G80 were locked it could have an effect on the turning radius, if i beat the hell out of mine itll sometimes(rarely) stay locked and you can hear the outside tire skip
my AWD makes uturns fine, i would call it on a dime but not unexpectedly wide.

OP
OP
latvius

latvius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced all the steering components a couple years ago and had it aligned so I know that is all good. The tires are a little bigger but not enough to make a diff I would not think.
Part of our driveway is gravel and the Denali plows the gravel to the side when it goes around the curve.

nadthomas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I noticed in your signature, that you mention the Denali has TAG bumpers. I wonder if the additional weight of the heavy bumpers and tire carrier has thrown off the alignment, or changed the angle of things due to suspension compression.

OP
OP
latvius

latvius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No the bumpers are on the Tahoe. My son n law has the xl Denali and I recall him saying it ate up tires because it pushed down the road. My Denali has mud terrains and I can see where it is wearing the lugs on the outside edges.

WildernessJeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Denali is hard to turn, and especially after I change out worn steering components (another joy of AWD). I wish I had a true 4WD system, if for nothing else than the gas mileage and ability to turn it off.

OP
OP
latvius

latvius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So it's not just me ;)
I wish they had made a 4wd Denali instead of AWD.
The only suv I have that turns better than my 4wd Tahoe is my 1995 Bronco.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2006 AWD Denali xl. I don’t have problems turning. I can maneuver just about anywhere and mine is longer than yours. I actually really enjoy the AWD system in the summer because it handles quite well around the windy mountain roads that I live on and I can take corners a little faster than my buddy that has a 4WD tahoe. And again I’m longer and heavier than his. And the comment about gas mileage, when my Denali was on a stock tune I compared with a 4WD SLT Yukon xl, and the gas mileage was about the same. With a bigger motor and AWD.....
the AWD doesn’t make that big of a difference on gas mileage......

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
The 06 vs 07-10 Denali turning radius seemed different. Our 06 Denali XL was a bear in tight spaces. The 08 we have now is not as much work.

The internet shows approx 22’ for the 06 Denali XL as well as the 07-10 Denali XL. Could this be a difference in the turn to lock between the model year changes of 06 to 07?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jake 2015 GMC Yuk