Are we allowed to talk about shop quotes?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I have the Denali in for state inspection today. Failed for brake light which I already opened and soldered the board back together. Maybe the solder broke. Who knows. But every time I look back at my security cams. My brake lights work… whatever waiting to hear back for that ridiculous price

the real question I came for was they are recommending new ball joints. It didn’t fail for that but they said there is some play. Quoting me $1750 for all 4 followed by alignment. Alignment normally $130. Also saying 7-8 hours of work. Now come on. I’ve pressed ball joints before with HAND TOOLS before. Tops 2-3 hours for the entire job.. what’s your opinions?

another question that I can’t find a straight answer to. Are the upper ball joints serviceable? Or do I have to replace the entire control arm assembly?

Update: oem tail lights are on back order and used lights are priced higher than new lol. I’ll be sending them out for repair or soldering them myself again

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
glad I don't live there, it's a Kommie state here but they only care about tail pipe emissions and anything else is irrelevant
probably cheaper to just replace both control arms and be done with it

OP
OP
Tonyv__

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
glad I don't live there, it's a Kommie state here but they only care about tail pipe emissions and anything else is irrelevant
Yeah I was looking at that. Control arms about 5-600. Plus alignment still puts me under $800. But if I can save a ton by doing ball joints I will lol

ReaperHWK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah for $1750 I’d do them yourself. If you have another car it’s a no brainer and just take your time. I have 3 cars for 2 people so I always plan on one being down for work haha.

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As for the Taillights, you could always do the Cadi Big Brake Light Upgrade..

The smoked set would look awesome on your truck..

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was going to say they both are ****** states, and then realized I am in Colorado, which is only a half hair better.

OP
OP
Tonyv__

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah for $1750 I’d do them yourself. If you have another car it’s a no brainer and just take your time. I have 3 cars for 2 people so I always plan on one being down for work haha.
Yeah I have my van and my wife’s car. I’ve only put 2k miles on the Denali in the past 6 months. I barely drive the thing

OP
OP
Tonyv__

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Having lived in Illinois and having had to go through the "safety" inspections for our work trucks, I'd have to say that it's such a self-serving scam to have the inspection shops also wanting to do repairs.
I agree. They almost ALWAYS find something unless the car is brand new

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RanchoTexas