Are we allowed to talk about shop quotes?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Tonyv__

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The upper ball joints aren’t serviced, they only come as part of the control arm so they’ve quoted the whole arm there for sure. I generally recommend replacing the whole lower arms also because then you get new bushings as well. Plus, if you have a 15 or early 16 with the aluminum arms they get replaced with stamped steel arms and the ball joints are a lot better. For whatever reason the ball joints in the aluminum arms like to wear out at 40k-60k miles.
Thanks for that answer. I may just buy the arms. Install them. Then bring it back for alignment.

Edit. Idk how to delete this comment now lol

OP
OP
Tonyv__

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will have to pull the axle out of the hub for the lower ball joint to clear. If you’re going to do it on the ground I would say just remove the axle and get it out of the way. I’m doing them on a lift so I keep the new arm within arms reach and push the knuckle out until the axle falls out and swap the arms out.
Yeah I’ll rent an axle nut set then. Just thought I could skip a step. But sometimes it’s not always that easy. I’ll probably spend more time trying to work around the axle than just removing it.. thanks for the info

Shaggy

Admin/Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for that answer. I may just buy the arms. Install them. Then bring it back for alignment.

Edit. Idk how to delete this comment now lol

Why do you want this post deleted?

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I’ll rent an axle nut set then. Just thought I could skip a step. But sometimes it’s not always that easy. I’ll probably spend more time trying to work around the axle than just removing it.. thanks for the info
You won’t be able to get the lower control arm out of the knuckle at all with the axle in the way.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I swore I watched a video recently on YT of a guy who did the LCA without removing the axle shaft from the T case flange. I Can't find it now of course...

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I swore I watched a video recently on YT of a guy who did the LCA without removing the axle shaft from the T case flange. I Can't find it now of course...
You don’t have to unbolt the axle from the front differential but it does have to come out of the hub.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9