Anyone use a micro-torch for bolt removal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cajun Jamie

Reaction score
SW Louisiana (originally) and DFW area presently
When I did my brakes not long ago I used loc-tite red on the big bolts. Was thinking if I was ever traveling and needed to get a bolt off with red, I'd need some heat. At home I used a heat gun, don't have a bottle torch. Was thinking of getting a small one to keep in the tool box. Anyone ever use one of these or recommend one? Just seems easier to pack than a bottle torch.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=portable+butane+torch&i=tools&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

https://www.yourmechanic.com/articl...-up-rusted-or-seized-parts-by-timothy-charlet

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cajun Jamie

Cajun Jamie

Reaction score
Last edited:

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I did my brakes not long ago I used loc-tite red on the big bolts. Was thinking if I was ever traveling and needed to get a bolt off with red, I'd need some heat. At home I used a heat gun, don't have a bottle torch. Was thinking of getting a small one to keep in the tool box. Anyone ever use one of these or recommend one? Just seems easier to pack than a bottle torch.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=portable+butane+torch&i=tools&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

https://www.yourmechanic.com/articl...-up-rusted-or-seized-parts-by-timothy-charlet

I used a propane (blue bottle) torch the other day for about 5 minutes on the brake rotor bolt and it didn't do anything. That's when I pounded the T30 into the screw and used a breaker bar on it. Would have done it sooner but forgot about the T30 with the 3/8 drive until rummaging around a tool drawer.

OP
OP
Cajun Jamie

Cajun Jamie

Reaction score
I used a propane (blue bottle) torch the other day for about 5 minutes on the brake rotor bolt and it didn't do anything. That's when I pounded the T30 into the screw and used a breaker bar on it. Would have done it sooner but forgot about the T30 with the 3/8 drive until rummaging around a tool drawer.

I've got an 18-inch breaker bar and could not budge the brake bolt. After 3-4 minutes with the heat gun it loosened. I'm going to get the yellow bottle and also a piece of pipe to extend my breaker bar. My breaker bar also has a swivel head which helps in tight spots, but takes away some power, in my opinion.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got an 18-inch breaker bar and could not budge the brake bolt. After 3-4 minutes with the heat gun it loosened. I'm going to get the yellow bottle and also a piece of pipe to extend my breaker bar. My breaker bar also has a swivel head which helps in tight spots, but takes away some power, in my opinion.
You need a 2’ pipe on the end of that 18” bar and they move fine. Done it many times.

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
You need a 2’ pipe on the end of that 18” bar and they move fine. Done it many times.
My 2 cents:

Most folks wrench wrong. See it all the time, someone's struggling with a tight bolt, they're getting ready to pull their hair out cause they can't bust the darn thing free. I take a look at what they're doing and they've positioned themselves such that their body leverage isn't helping.

You can get a lot more force on something by pulling than from pushing. And by lifting than from hanging.

Your ratchet rotates 360 degrees. Find a position, brace one arm against the thing you're trying to loosen, then grab the wrench with your other arm and pull. I rarely have an issue getting caliper bolts and whatnot loose with my standard 12" ratchet. Though I have a big 25" ratchet I use if something's ungodly tight. Rough estimation of how much torque I can put to that is in the 500ftlb range. If your fastener isn't coming off with that much force, you're not doing it on the side of the road anyway.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 2 cents:

Most folks wrench wrong. See it all the time, someone's struggling with a tight bolt, they're getting ready to pull their hair out cause they can't bust the darn thing free. I take a look at what they're doing and they've positioned themselves such that their body leverage isn't helping.

You can get a lot more force on something by pulling than from pushing. And by lifting than from hanging.

Your ratchet rotates 360 degrees. Find a position, brace one arm against the thing you're trying to loosen, then grab the wrench with your other arm and pull. I rarely have an issue getting caliper bolts and whatnot loose with my standard 12" ratchet. Though I have a big 25" ratchet I use if something's ungodly tight. Rough estimation of how much torque I can put to that is in the 500ftlb range. If your fastener isn't coming off with that much force, you're not doing it on the side of the road anyway.
I agree and do exactly what you’ve described but for the caliper ‘bracket’ bolts that have factory lock-tight on them, i cut the wheel hard, put my ratchet and socket on the bolt, set it at a 2-3 o’clock postion, grab my breaker bar and use 2 fingers to push the bar down to break it loose, then just a normal ratchet swing. Every one has their own methods and this has never failed for me. :)

Erickk120

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've made the mistake of using red loctite in the brake bracket bolts before, I take whatever wrench fits and tap it with my 4 lbs mini sledge hammer til it loosens it. Its still tight after that, so I just finish it with an extension ratchet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juniordaboi909

Latest posts