Anyone running the Continental TerrainContact H/T 285/45/22?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ended up putting these on my Escalade because I really wanted to know how they compare and I found a nail in the sidewall of one of my Michelins (luckily not one of the two new ones). I've only put about 125 miles on them so far so they still need a little more to break in. So far I definitely like them but I think I like the Michelins are just a little better. Looks wise I think the Continentals are better looking, partly because of the edge protector. I think they ride very similar. I do think the Continentals handle larger dips/bumps slightly better but I think the Michelins handle the smaller stuff better. The big thing for me though is the handling and I think the Michelins have the edge here. It isn't drastic so if you don't have big sway bars and drive a big truck like it's a sports car, you may never notice the difference. They're not scary like the Dueler Alenzas. I do have a little vibration; however, I'm wondering if it is one of my wheels (I bought them used). I had what feels like almost the same vibration before with the Michelins which was why I bought two new ones (the Roadforce was high) but it was still there until I rotated the tires and put the new ones on the front. I was assuming one of those two remaining old Michelins (also bought used) was bad. I will be taking the Continentals off and putting them on my Yukon because I want the best handling. I'll be driving on them on the Escalade until I can buy two more new Michelins so I'm probably going to try rotating them to see if the vibration goes away like it did with the Michelins and if so I'll have to figure out which wheel is the problem.

5D5CEA07-0FD1-4660-ACA6-E84A8DA7B63C.jpeg

HD_LS

Reaction score
I've had the Continental TerrainContact H/T 285/45/22, since when they first came out. They are fantastic in every way! I bought these after being very disappointed with my last set of Michelins, which only offered good traction for the first 12 months, 12,000 miles. After that they were very dangerous in the rain.

the Continental TerrainContact H/T's have superb wet traction, very smooth ride, and are very quiet.

Note that the TerrainContact H/T's are a way better tire than the CrossContact LX tires. The CrossContacts are a compromised design to get better fuel economy, where the TerrainContact H/T's are the best tire they know how to make.

OP
OP

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
which only offered good traction for the first 12 months, 12,000 miles. After that they were very dangerous in the rain.
Interesting. I’ve never heard anyone say that before. That was with the Defender LTX? My parents, my uncle, and my father-in-law have all been through multiple sets of the Defender LTX and never had that complaint. I haven’t had a set from new yet but my two used sets have never felt dangerous in the rain. I just have vibration issues with my used ones.

OP
OP

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To update this again, the Michelins are back on my truck. They are just the better tire, period. I would say the TerrainContact H/T is a very good tire but the Defender LTX is an excellent tire. The Michelins handle much better and have a smoother ride. I didn't think the difference in handling was that major but after putting the Michelins back on (and replacing the other two used ones with two more new ones), I'm changing my mind. I still think they're great tires but the Michelins are better and worth the extra money in my opinion. If you're coming from the garbage Dueler Alenza going to the TerrainContact H/T you will be very happy with the Continental but the Michelins are still even better than those. I do still have a tiny vibration at 80+ and the tire machine did say one of my wheels is slightly out-of-round so I'll address that eventually but with the Michelins back on it isn't nearly as bothersome (I put the wheels back in the same place just to verify this). I put the Continentals up on FB Marketplace to see if I could sell them for $800 and I'll buy another set of Michelins for my Yukon but if they don't sell then I'll just put them on my Yukon.

K2 Kaiju

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ended up putting these on my Escalade because I really wanted to know how they compare and I found a nail in the sidewall of one of my Michelins (luckily not one of the two new ones). I've only put about 125 miles on them so far so they still need a little more to break in. So far I definitely like them but I think I like the Michelins are just a little better. Looks wise I think the Continentals are better looking, partly because of the edge protector. I think they ride very similar. I do think the Continentals handle larger dips/bumps slightly better but I think the Michelins handle the smaller stuff better. The big thing for me though is the handling and I think the Michelins have the edge here. It isn't drastic so if you don't have big sway bars and drive a big truck like it's a sports car, you may never notice the difference. They're not scary like the Dueler Alenzas. I do have a little vibration; however, I'm wondering if it is one of my wheels (I bought them used). I had what feels like almost the same vibration before with the Michelins which was why I bought two new ones (the Roadforce was high) but it was still there until I rotated the tires and put the new ones on the front. I was assuming one of those two remaining old Michelins (also bought used) was bad. I will be taking the Continentals off and putting them on my Yukon because I want the best handling. I'll be driving on them on the Escalade until I can buy two more new Michelins so I'm probably going to try rotating them to see if the vibration goes away like it did with the Michelins and if so I'll have to figure out which wheel is the problem.

View attachment 297329
Very solid report with same size on same truck to compare. They do need a bit to break in and keep in mind the contis are hundreds cheaper (paid $633 for my 18s + tax @ tirebuyer in december). Either way you got some good tires there...

K2 Kaiju

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To update this again, the Michelins are back on my truck. They are just the better tire, period. I would say the TerrainContact H/T is a very good tire but the Defender LTX is an excellent tire. The Michelins handle much better and have a smoother ride. I didn't think the difference in handling was that major but after putting the Michelins back on (and replacing the other two used ones with two more new ones), I'm changing my mind. I still think they're great tires but the Michelins are better and worth the extra money in my opinion. If you're coming from the garbage Dueler Alenza going to the TerrainContact H/T you will be very happy with the Continental but the Michelins are still even better than those. I do still have a tiny vibration at 80+ and the tire machine did say one of my wheels is slightly out-of-round so I'll address that eventually but with the Michelins back on it isn't nearly as bothersome (I put the wheels back in the same place just to verify this). I put the Continentals up on FB Marketplace to see if I could sell them for $800 and I'll buy another set of Michelins for my Yukon but if they don't sell then I'll just put them on my Yukon.
LOL, I guess you get what you pay for. You think the Michelins are better in rain too? They must have changed the rubber again which tire companies tend to do, but the sipes on the contis are very effective in all kinds of crap weather (seemed to rain every day last month). I guess I need to try some defenders again, but it will probably be a few years...

OP
OP

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That I can't say. I drove on the Continentals in the rain a few times but it wasn't a downpour or anything crazy to really test them. I will say I never had a complaint with the wet weather performance with the eBay used Defenders. I will very likely end up putting the Continentals on my Yukon since no one really knows about them I've only had 14 views on the ad in a week and I'm not giving them away so I will probably be able to tell eventually how they do in the wet.

buy2ls

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That I can't say. I drove on the Continentals in the rain a few times but it wasn't a downpour or anything crazy to really test them. I will say I never had a complaint with the wet weather performance with the eBay used Defenders. I will very likely end up putting the Continentals on my Yukon since no one really knows about them I've only had 14 views on the ad in a week and I'm not giving them away so I will probably be able to tell eventually how they do in the wet.
I got 285 45 22 they look awesome and are quiet too

buy2ls

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Shot of them aired down to 20lbs

Attachments

• IMG_3516.jpeg
    IMG_3516.jpeg
    315.9 KB · Views: 14
OP
OP

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did end up putting these on my Yukon. They ride much smoother on the Yukon than my Escalade so I must have an out-of-round wheel. The Michelins still handle better but that also isn’t as noticeable since the Yukon has my old Eibach sway bars and the Escalade has the Hellwig bars. The Michelins are the #1 tire for this size and the Continentals are #2.