Anyone running the Continental TerrainContact H/T 285/45/22?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Normally I’m a huge Michelin fan but lately I’ve been hearing so much about Continental tires rating right there with the Michelins that I’m very intrigued. The TerrainContact H/T even looks similar to the Michelin Defender LTX but I can get them about $150 cheaper on a set of four. Is anyone using these? I searched but really only found people talking about the A/T version. I’d love to hear if you’ve used both tires. I hate the Bridgestone Dueler Alenza, they have a ton of sidewall roll compared to the Defender and don’t ride good at all.

K2 Kaiju

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Normally I’m a huge Michelin fan but lately I’ve been hearing so much about Continental tires rating right there with the Michelins that I’m very intrigued. The TerrainContact H/T even looks similar to the Michelin Defender LTX but I can get them about $150 cheaper on a set of four. Is anyone using these? I searched but really only found people talking about the A/T version. I’d love to hear if you’ve used both tires. I hate the Bridgestone Dueler Alenza, they have a ton of sidewall roll compared to the Defender and don’t ride good at all.
Get them. I have a set in 265.70.18 and after around 5k miles, I must say they are better than my last set of defenders. Buttery smooth at 95, great in rain, and quiet. During the February Snovid21 in TX, my burb did so much better than wifes forester on ice, I replaced her tires with some contis the next week. I had wanted the ATs for a long time since they look better, but im on road 98% of the time, and these are perfect for my needs...9321bb1d7e5b6a7b633e3866ddcebf5e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

OP
OP

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you check Tirerack to see if they had any reviews?

Yes, I did. There are only 31 reviews but they were mostly positive. There were some people who mentioned vibration issues but that happens with the Michelins sometimes, too. There were 1 or 2 reviews that said they were terrible compared to the Defenders they had on before and 1 or 2 reviews that said they were better than the Defenders. Most of the reviews seemed to come from changing from whatever stock tires their vehicles had.

Although both ratings are high the Michelin is rated a little higher than the Continental on cornering stability and steering response which is the most important to me after being vibration free. The little video Tire Rack has for the Continental says: "handling is appropriate for a highway all-season tire though our team noted a loose but responsive steering feel that could benefit from more communication for precise small inputs." That worries me a little because my truck is lowered with big sway bars so although I don't expect it to handle like a sports car it definitely handles much better than it should. I also realize that feeling could change depending on road quality, the type of vehicle, and tire size. It may not have that feeling with a 45 series sidewall vs. a 70.

My plan was if I did decided to buy these tires and didn't like them, I could put them on my wife's Yukon and put Defenders on mine but the Yukon doesn't really need tires and since I put new tires on the SS earlier this year also I would have to live with them for a little while.

OP
OP

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get them. I have a set in 265.70.18 and after around 5k miles, I must say they are better than my last set of defenders. Buttery smooth at 95, great in rain, and quiet.

Could you possibly expand a little more on why you like them better than the Defenders?

K2 Kaiju

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could you possibly expand a little more on why you like them better than the Defenders?
They seem a little softer over bumps, they are slightly less direct with steering wheel input (which may be against what you want) with a more rounded profile. I have Helwig front and rear sway bars and these tires stand up to my occasional "suprise the sports car with your grip around the curve" moments. Nice comfort most of the time, but responsive when pushed - I really havent spun out in the rain yet during take off. Decent 116 load rating. My defenders felt solid but a bit less refined. If these last their 70k tread warranty I wont even think of Michelins again...

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

OP
OP

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright, I appreciate the input. I do still wonder if the 285/45 would be more responsive just because of the shorter sidewall but I think I will wait until the Yukon more needs tires and decide then. Maybe someone who has used this tire in the 285/45/22 will chime in.

captain

Reaction score
Hi guys, my Yukon came with NANKANG SP-7’s. Are these tires decent? I never heard of this brand and am thinking of swapping.

OP
OP

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I decided I’m going to give the Continentals a go. I ordered one to see what it looks like in the 285/45/22 and it’s a pretty good looking tire. I’ve ordered the rest which should come in this week. Now I’ve got to decide which truck to put them on. For my curiosity I want to put them on my Escalade because I’ll be able to better compare them to the Michelins but I just put two new Michelins on it last month so I don’t know if I want to mess with those. I could just replace the other two tires and have two and two but not sure if I’d really get a good enough feel for them that way.

BCD0826B-7408-46F8-9C3D-213A51482120.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrLeritz