Anyone running 400hp 5.3L?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ohhhhhh man you guys are on it.

can I buy the Stock 6.2 and run it without swapping PCM.

My shop has a saying: We will make your car the best it could ever be from the factory.

Mainly for repair, insurance and warranty purposes. I’d love to go 6.2 in the Tahoe too.

Stock for stock, the 6.2 will run on the PCM with the 5.3 tune. It will be FAR from optimal and it won't be happy. But, it'll eventually learn enough to stay running, maybe even well enough to gently drive to the tuner. I'd have the PCM flashed with a 6.2 tune after you pull the 5.3 so it'll be ready and plenty safe to drive to get the fine-tuning handled. Your shop wouldn't be lying since the 6.2 was an option in some GMT900 Tahoes. Nobody has to know it's a 6.2 and it'll look identical to your 5.3 on the outside. If I were buying an engine with a warranty and would be happy with ~400HP, I'd get a 6.2 and not mod it other than a custom tune, mainly for the transmission's benefit.

ls1frc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup my 6.2 looks factory. It came with a harness but existing harness plugged right in. You can check out my build thread in this subforum.

Its not a world beater but the torque in 1st is awesome. Knocks you back hard for a giant vehicle. I recommend keeping VVT. The advance down low makes a big difference.

OP
OP
Nrphlly

Nrphlly

Reaction score
Yeah I’m looking to be at 400hp to not feel the drop off when I drive my cars around. Definitely pulling benefits involved because I haul cars around daily.

Ok so the a Modded 5.3, is still not as good as a Stock 6.2L

58D0ABC3-73B7-4B8D-A660-634A71251765.jpeg

This is what it is going in. She will turn the lights out after an engine swap/mod.

Runs Perfectly. Every option except power running boards.

I figure, a 400hp motor and she’s into the next 5yrs. For sure.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Yeah I’m looking to be at 400hp to not feel the drop off when I drive my cars around. Definitely pulling benefits involved because I haul cars around daily.

View attachment 265580

This is what it is going in. She will turn the lights out after an engine swap/mod.

Not trying to be the bearer of bad news, but I'd figure on a trans rebuild in your near future.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score

View attachment 265580

If you're hauling then you definitely should invest in a 6.2, even if stock. In comparison, you'd have to wind out the 5.3 to get moving and it'd be working harder at all times than a 6.2 would. Being a 2012, you already have the 6L80, which is a huge benefit. Get it tuned so it doesn't kill itself.

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
6.2 for the win. I was dying to 6.0 swap my Tahoe. Never got around to it and now own a 15 Denali with the 6.2 Don’t know if I’ll ever go back to a 5.3 lol

if you’re gonna cam and pretty much rebuild your brand new engine. I have a guy in Philly that sells all types of LS engines at a fair price. Just throwing it out there. Disclaimer. I don’t work or make any money off this guy. I just think his place is a gold mine. Just a yard of close to 100 Tahoe’s Yukon’s and pickups

ls1frc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
6.2 for the win. I was dying to 6.0 swap my Tahoe. Never got around to it and now own a 15 Denali with the 6.2 Don’t know if I’ll ever go back to a 5.3 lol

if you’re gonna cam and pretty much rebuild your brand new engine. I have a guy in Philly that sells all types of LS engines at a fair price. Just throwing it out there. Disclaimer. I don’t work or make any money off this guy. I just think his place is a gold mine. Just a yard of close to 100 Tahoe’s Yukon’s and pickups

Where is it. Im near philly too.

OP
OP
Nrphlly

Nrphlly

Reaction score
Yeah I figured I’d be doing a trans soon too. Especially with a motor build. Because I love the truck very much.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts