Anyone replaced their unused spare tire due to age?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mjgirard

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I replaced my spare last year out of concern for safety while traveling on the Interstates to Upstate New York.
Then I had Discount Tire put it in to my tire rotation, yes that had to mount the spare on one of the road wheels but in only cost $20. It is well worth the cost of remounting to use the spare so all tires are in good shape.

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When we bought tires for our Suburban a few years back, I bought a new spare. I suspected 1) that we had the original spare (The Suburban is a 2005 sold new in 2004) and that 2) the spare tire mount was rusted beyond use... As we were about to embark on a long trip, I felt it smarter to break the spare tire holder near home -- if it was going to break -- and replace it before the trip. Plus it didn't cost extra for the tire shop to perform the extra work.

(Yeah, I still feel like an ass for that. But I've paid them so much money over the years I've just decided I can live with that.)

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought a spare RST wheel off of eBay. They found a slightly used factory tire and had it mounted. Now that I have Michelins, I may change the spare to Michelin and maybe put it in my rotations.

latvius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
19YO and no intention of replacing it, looks fine holds air. All these so called "facts" about how long a tire lasts all come from someone who sells tires. My wife and I go through this with the best by date on food. She starts to throw them out and I'm "hold up does it smell bad, look bad?" If not then it's still good to eat.

bobby2175

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just went through this getting ready for a long road trip.

My tire was original from 2010 - it looked fine (no cracks), but I went ahead and replaced it since this is our primary family hauling vehicle. If it was only me, I probably would have made a different decision.

I also took the wheel, had it shot blasted to remove the surface rust and then had it powder coated.

Before20231104_125908.jpg

After

20231203_141701.jpg

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just went through this getting ready for a long road trip.

My tire was original from 2010 - it looked fine (no cracks), but I went ahead and replaced it since this is our primary family hauling vehicle. If it was only me, I probably would have made a different decision.

I also took the wheel, had it shot blasted to remove the surface rust and then had it powder coated.

BeforeView attachment 418373

After

View attachment 418374
I will probably do the exact same thing, when I get around to lower my spare.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo