Anyone put a roof rack on yet?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jlo8720

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey @Fireslayer308

So from stock, you added roof cross bars AND 2" lift?

I bet I could pull into parking garages w/o that 2" lift.

Have you measured your vehicle height officially?

jlo8720

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I ended up buying the GM ones for less than $400. I am trying to see the OEM cross bars will work with a Rhino Pioneer Platform with providing the proper support for the tray.
I picked it up for ~$371 as well using the 25% GM has online.

It is Return eligible as long as it's unused/new...so I can decide later.

RETURN POLICYAccessories purchased online and shipped directly to a customer or picked up at a participating dealership may be returned for a complete refund, including shipping, within 30 days of customer receipt. To be eligible for a return, the accessory must also be in original condition (i.e., new and unused), and must be returned with all parts/components, instructions and the original shipping container. To qualify for a refund, customer must return an eligible accessory to the selling dealership

Fireslayer308

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey @Fireslayer308

So from stock, you added roof cross bars AND 2" lift?

I bet I could pull into parking garages w/o that 2" lift.

Have you measured your vehicle height officially?
Yes. I haven't measured the height since the lift and roof bars have been added. The wife and I went downtown a couple weeks ago and we could not fit in the parking garage that had a 6'8" max height. We simply removed the crossbars and proceeded without any issues. They come off very easily. If you decide to install a 2" lift and add the GM roof bars make sure wherever your parking is at least 7' to clear, otherwise you'll need to remove them first.

AUXPACBO

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Here is the link to the thread he posted pics.

Member keller55

The feet were to small or shallow to grab on the side bars. I really want them to work, but we tried everything. I just pictures to the manufactureView attachment 355904, so hopefully they can fix the design.
Hi. I provided you with a crossbar before. You can learn from oem products that the crossbeams of tahoe/yukon/suburban/escalade are the same, because the width of the vehicle and the roof rail of these cars are the same. There is no problem with yukon's crossbar, so I strongly recommend that you make some adjustments to the installation, especially the position, hoping to be installed at the rear of the vehicle. The attachment is the installation instructions provided for you. Please try again, if you have any suggestions for product improvement, please feel free to contact me.

Attachments

• 0.jpg
    0.jpg
    262.7 KB · Views: 37

jlo8720

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
FYI - as expected

The official height (6.12"?) of the OEM cross rails does not add a full 6.12" to your vehicle height. Part of the height mounts over/on the existing roof rails, offsetting some of the material....So the net increase may be closer to 5-6" instead.

I found this out the good way, as my vehicle still clears my garage, though someone else may chose to get a short ruler out to confirm specifics, as my dealer was unable to confirm or provide anything.

tlockhart

Reaction score
Guys that have the OEM rack installed, how far apart do you have each one, and how far off the front of the siderails?

Going to be installing these in a day or two and will be running a cargo box.

ljn21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had mine on to get our Xmas tree last weekend. Front bar was about 18 inches from the front of the rail. Rear rail was about 30 inches from the front one (didn’t measure, guessing), I basically followed the placement recommendations that came in the box. Had no wind noise at all when on the freeway bare, tree made a little noise but barely.

Last edited:

NYisles1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guys that have the OEM rack installed, how far apart do you have each one, and how far off the front of the siderails?

Going to be installing these in a day or two and will be running a cargo box.
The directions that came with the OEM ones said to put the front rail near the back of the sunroof --- and then if using a cargo box the rear rail goes 27" behind that. Thats how I spaced mine ... overall looks biased toward the rear but the rails are easy to slide around if you want.

ljn21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The directions that came with the OEM ones said to put the front rail near the back of the sunroof --- and then if using a cargo box the rear rail goes 27" behind that. Thats how I spaced mine ... overall looks biased toward the rear but the rails are easy to slide around if you want.
That’s roughly same as what we did.

Keller55

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Roof Rack Platform installed!!!! After doing tons of research and internet surfing. I found a rack that worked for my new Tahoe. I found a post of the 2022 Chevy Tahoe Z71 Overlanding Concept. https://gmauthority.com/blog/2021/11/2022-chevy-tahoe-z71-overlanding-concept-debuts-at-sema/

I saw that they used the OEM roof rails to hold up the tent. Then it got me thinking about getting a Rack Platform for 2021 Tahoe.
Rhino and Front Runner make a platform rack, but the said they are not compatible. Rhino you have to used their Backbone and they don't have to for the Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade. Yakima makes a platform that connects to your existing OEM rails. So I purchase the biggest one they had which was 84" by 49". Since the platform is 7 feet long, they require you to have 3 roof rack bars. Unfortunately they only sell cross bars in pairs, so I had to purchase 4 of them (I have 1 cross bar to sell, if someone wants to go this route). Also the YAKIMA platform has life time warranty, unlike Rhino and Front Runner, so also a plus. I picked up the folding Rhino Platform Ladder that is compatible with the YAKIMA one. There is some wind noise, so I am trying to find the best Wind Fairing that will work the best for me.
I will take more pictures this weekend, but here a couple quick pics. Taking a 700 mile road trip to the mountain during Xmas, so that will be the true test.

Attachments

• 20211205_154933.jpg
    20211205_154933.jpg
    246.9 KB · Views: 87
  • 20211205_154943.jpg
    20211205_154943.jpg
    467.8 KB · Views: 85

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomase1269