Recommendations on roof rack cross bars

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Antonm

Reaction score
Of course GM wants a small fortune, but there are like a lot of available options for roof rack crossbars (aka cheap knockoffs) out there. Is there a go-to brand, other than genuine GM, that's known to not be crap? Thanks.

Dirty30

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I think Thule makes a set. Not very many options but I did look for a bit one day and found they had a kit. I need to call and double check the website was correct. Mine has the panoramic sunroof and no mounting holes like my old one(2016). Let me know if you find one that works. Do you have the pano sunroof?

OP
OP
Antonm

Antonm

Reaction score
I think Thule makes a set. Not very many options but I did look for a bit one day and found they had a kit. I need to call and double check the website was correct. Mine has the panoramic sunroof and no mounting holes like my old one(2016). Let me know if you find one that works. Do you have the pano sunroof?

Yes, I have panoramic sunroof, does that make a difference in which roof rack cross bars will fit?

Vladimir2306

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the Thule Kit installed. There is a kit for installation on integrated roof rails.

Attachments

• 2023-06-14 20-40-02.JPG
    2023-06-14 20-40-02.JPG
    121.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 2023-06-14 20-41-49 (5).JPG
    2023-06-14 20-41-49 (5).JPG
    269 KB · Views: 5

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The bars dont use holes…they mount to the roof rails.

BacDoc

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I’m looking into roof racks for my Tahoe and a good source for information and pricing is etrailer.com. I have called them and they have people who know trucks and parts compatibility that are easy to talk to and will give you all the help you need. They are retailer for many of the big rack companies like Thule and Yakima.

Both Thule and Yakima make great choices for the Tahoe/Yukon. I have had both and the only difference is the appearance - both are high end quality brands that will last and hold cargo securely.

TXbarney

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have another GM vehicle and while it is not cross bars, it gives you tie downs.
Purchased stainless "U" bolts at the home improvement store. They come with nuts and a strip of metal between the 2 legs. I think the size I used was 1/4 inch. The size is determined by the slot in your roof rails. I made a second cross strip and purchased additional stainless nuts.
I loaded the assembly in this order... nut, cross strip, second cross strip, and nut.
the last nut is positioned at the end of the "U" bolt.
Remove the end of the roof rail and slide the "U" bolt assembly into the slot.
you want one cross bar on the inside and the other on the outside.
Slide the "U" bolt to the desired location and tighten the nuts on the outside and that locks
the "U" bolt in place. This does not give you a cross bar but now you have tie downs

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Exilex2

Latest posts