Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Writefast

Reaction score
Roof rack/basket size.
So I’m looking for a roof rack. A rooftop cargo basket. I do not want to cover my sunroof. I want enough room to carry a reasonable amount of gear. I’ll eventually add some traction boards to that gear. My question is how wide does a rack want to be? If I buy one that covers 2/3 the roof that should allow enough room to mount the tacks next to it. I think. My gear in the rack, the tracks mounted on the cross bars. A rack that covers the width of the roof is more expensive and some portion of that space is going to be eaten by the tracks. My “gear” will be a gear box, a couple of Jerry cans and a few ancillary items. Anyone with any experience with this? Overlanders?

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a tent up there with a good air deflector so I keep decent mpg's. Honestly, I would get the smallest, usable size, and keep it near the back. Then put a deflector in front. This will make getting stuff out easier without feeling like the top of your truck is an anchor/sail.

Or, fab up a hitch mounted bumper to hold it out of the wind path and easy to access. Then remove when not needed.

Have done some overlanding BTW, not shooting from the hip. Also not a professional. LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar