Anyone have a lowered tahoe.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NORCAL SS

SUV SUSPENSION GURU
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
keys in front and rear 4 inch djm kit would work also.

TOWRIGG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that sounds like what im looking for....as long as its a shackle/hanger kit. not really crazy about flipping the rear. DJM whats the damage for that kit and can i get it directly from you? thanx for all your help...

Riocool

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Here's mine, 99 2wd with a 2/3 drop on springs up front, 255-50-17 up front and 255-60-17 out back. Just bought it last month and the ride is pretty rough, not happy with it now need to research smoothing it out. 2" is not enough up front with 17, too much of a gap.

P1060154.gif

P1060155.gif:mexsmoke:

AtomicHoe094

Atomichoe094
Reaction score
Riocool- any issue with the front tires hitting the fenders? whats done with the back end? and what kind of springs are those?

Hey DJM- could you give me a quote on something for my truck? i wanna lower it more then what it is now. thanks

Riocool

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
No issues with the tires rubbing at all. Im not sure what brand stuff is in there since i purchased it that way, the back has shackle kit and shock extenders, I noticed that the rear has some kind of air shocks with manual fill inside the fuel door but they look empty right now, but the problem is in front it seems to be light when your on the freeway you feel every bump, like a 1000 lbs weight is in the back? So Im going to have the alignment checked and the shocks they are monroes but dont look like lowered shocks? My pick up rides like a caddy compared to this and I have 2" springs and 4" drop in back. I'm sure we will figure it out.

P1060156b.gif

TigerEyz3

Slow and Steady
Reaction score
If the shocks aren't drop shocks up front, your travel is probably limited, which would explain the "light front end" feel you described. Could be the shocks are just worn out, too. Hard to tell without being there.

Have you checked the shocks? A bounce test will typically let you know if they are worn out - should settle in less than three cycles. If the travel is compromised (not much compression travel available), you will likely be able to tell that during the bounce test as well.

AtomicHoe094

Atomichoe094
Reaction score
good call. i need new shocks speaking of that. I blew one up going to fast over a huge dip in the road, bottomed out and scrapped the shit outta my fenders. lol

Riocool

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
No I have not yet really gotten a good look at the shocks but they were not leaking from what I could see when I took a quick look,but I'm thinking something along those lines, I forgot to mention that the truck has 109,000 miles but don't know the history of how long the shocks have been installed, I will try the bounce test, but I would like to add some spindles and maybe a 1" spring or leaving the existing 2" spring in but the ol' lady is going to be driving it more, so don't want her leaving parts all over the road, but she's on board with lowering it abit to get rid of the rough ride, I least that's what I'm telling her. Then I will definitely go with some good lowered shocks.

TigerEyz3

Slow and Steady
Reaction score
Lowering in and of itself will not make the rough ride smooth... that's more a product of the shocks and tires, assuming the springs are actually performing their tasks. Shocks can be worn without external leaking... If you've got 109k on the factory shocks, you've definitely gone past the "comfort zone" of them. Depending on the ride you're going for will determine what kind of shocks would be the best match for replacement. I wanted good handling foremost with comfort a close second. That said, I purchased Edelbrock IAS shocks and have been very happy with them - firm road feel, with good road manners.

I've read many comments on how the lowering springs changed the ride quality - some thought they were too harsh, others that they were not firm enough. I guess it's all a matter of personal preference.

To address your height concerns... Going with a 3" front drop shouldn't leave parts on the road at all - assuming you've got the proper wheel/tire setup for the ride height. I'm slowly working my way there - currently have a 2" spindle drop, looking to replace my leaves and drop the rear 2" with shackles and the front another inch with Eibach coils. I will have to replace my shocks when I do that - trying to figure out which ones I want to use (go with lowered IAS shocks or some other brand). Any suggestions?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leno1364

Latest posts