Any1 keep their ride as a spare vehicle?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone keep their ride as a side boo and if so what do you use it for when you do use it?

I'm close to paying her off and it will be an extra vehicle in my driveway. She isn't a practical daily driver but we love her. Sitting there she is a thief magnet when outside and a garage filler when inside. Struggling on whether to sell her and pocket the money for something else.

Derick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My burb is a second vehicle. I bought it to tow my camper last year, but my primary daily is a Honda accord. I've been torn myself on what to do with it anymore because I sold my camper in january or so. I don't need a 2500 for the lawn mowers I pull....but it's here and I already know what I've done to it thus far.

cmc76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My tahoe gets rare use. Work provides my a truck. Today was the first time I've driven in a month.
I put in a new battery. Took it for a bath. And then some ride time.

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought my 2014 Yukon Denali just for family trips and to tow our
camper with more interior room vs my pickup. It is in/out mixed.
I have several other vehicles so I really just use it when I want to.
It's a bus -XL - so i usually don't take it anywhere where parking
and traffic are tight (unless i need the room)

Seamus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Our 2013 suburban is a second vehicle to myself or the wife as we both have other primary vehicles. We had a 2017 Denali XL and hated the new platform. Also the value wasn't there. I traded into a S550 and wife stayed in here VW Jetta. Within 6 months we realized we really needed a truck for lifestyle. We had Yukon Xl's and Suburbans for years. So we knew how awesome and how cheap of a keep the LS based trucks were. We found a 2013 one owner Suburban and we are in love with it. We use it quite a bit between the dog, and road trips for daughters gymnastics. Keeps the miles off the S550 and its a great switch vehicle. If you get rid of yours, you will find out how much you need it within 6 months.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I bought my Hoe to replace an old Ford Explorer that wasn't great at handling my camper. Now that I got rid of the camper I just rent one for a summer trip or two, and the Hoe gets the garage space. I love having it for a spare.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
She isn't a practical daily driver but we love her.

What??? It's the best daily driver! BIG, comfortable, can see a mile ahead, enduring, durable and best of all SAFE.

Growing up, everyone in my family was seriously injured in accidents with small cars. The ones I was in were not my fault. I swore off little cars for life, the price of gas is the price of safety.

Mine is my daily but I do not drive daily. But whenever the family travels together with me, we take my truck and leave the others home. Towing, camping, off-roading, grocery-getting, Christmas trees, furniture, vacations, church twice a week, trips to the drag strip and Grandma's house is where my rig goes. Oh, and to fix or try to fix y'alls trucks too!

Bigkevschopshop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I daily mine... 70-80 miles a day... Wife just traded her charger in on a ram saturday... I can drive the ram sometimes when she drives the mini cooper but the cooper is her fun car, I have my hotrods as a spare if need be too. Yes having a spare vehicle is a blessing and curse, more maintenance and insurance, but classic car insurance is fractional compared to normal crap. But honestly I'm at 130k miles on the burb... does great gets 18-20 mpg etc. I honestly love mine, comfy for my big ass, plenty of room, and safe as hell in the event of idiot drivers decided to play bumper cars. End of the day man, its worth paying off and keeping, you know the history of it, still enjoy it or you wouldn't be here. Keep her, maybe get a newer something if you want to keep miles off it... But its your money man, I can spend it real fast for you. But when the mileage on this forum from users is normally 150k average for everyone here, people maxing about 300k to 500k and still going, these trucks are beasts, built to last unless you live in the rust belt... The normal mileage on uses suburbans down here in the south... 150 to 200k still fetching 10k bucks. Just make a good decision with your gut man... if financially you need the $ to free things up then do so, if you need to just keep it and drive it daily, and enjoy not having a car note for a year or 2 it will help the bottom line more than selling, trust me I did it and its been the best thing I have ever done for pushing the debt snowball to the cliff... Just cause something is paid off, it still has utility and value. So lets say you trade it on something getting 25 to 30 mpg, you then finance lets say 15k... Do you know how long that fuel savings takes to re coup the 15k you just threw at it? Lets say you drive 500 miles a week... Fuel cost difference is 17$ a week roughly... $844.00 a year at that point... 17.75 years to balance that out...Now if you drive less than 500 a week, then increase the years to balance it out.... This is why I never buy vehicles for fuel mileage to replace a gas hog. comfort and safety are things I cant put a price on.....Sorry to get all mathematical on you and a lengthy response.. I have seen so many folks buy into the whole little car crap to "save money" and end up unhappy with their little appliance.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I daily mine... 70-80 miles a day... Wife just traded her charger in on a ram saturday... I can drive the ram sometimes when she drives the mini cooper but the cooper is her fun car, I have my hotrods as a spare if need be too. Yes having a spare vehicle is a blessing and curse, more maintenance and insurance, but classic car insurance is fractional compared to normal crap. But honestly I'm at 130k miles on the burb... does great gets 18-20 mpg etc. I honestly love mine, comfy for my big ass, plenty of room, and safe as hell in the event of idiot drivers decided to play bumper cars. End of the day man, its worth paying off and keeping, you know the history of it, still enjoy it or you wouldn't be here. Keep her, maybe get a newer something if you want to keep miles off it... But its your money man, I can spend it real fast for you. But when the mileage on this forum from users is normally 150k average for everyone here, people maxing about 300k to 500k and still going, these trucks are beasts, built to last unless you live in the rust belt... The normal mileage on uses suburbans down here in the south... 150 to 200k still fetching 10k bucks. Just make a good decision with your gut man... if financially you need the $ to free things up then do so, if you need to just keep it and drive it daily, and enjoy not having a car note for a year or 2 it will help the bottom line more than selling, trust me I did it and its been the best thing I have ever done for pushing the debt snowball to the cliff... Just cause something is paid off, it still has utility and value. So lets say you trade it on something getting 25 to 30 mpg, you then finance lets say 15k... Do you know how long that fuel savings takes to re coup the 15k you just threw at it? Lets say you drive 500 miles a week... Fuel cost difference is 17$ a week roughly... $844.00 a year at that point... 17.75 years to balance that out...Now if you drive less than 500 a week, then increase the years to balance it out.... This is why I never buy vehicles for fuel mileage to replace a gas hog. comfort and safety are things I cant put a price on.....Sorry to get all mathematical on you and a lengthy response.. I have seen so many folks buy into the whole little car crap to "save money" and end up unhappy with their little appliance.

Amen Kevin! Ain't no replacement for displacement!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romeroman64

Latest posts