Any interest in 4wd front coilovers to replace tbars?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

digitalfiend

Expert Overthinker
Reaction score
Why do you guys think there should be a bushing? The procomp mount doesnt use one. All the load should be support by the spring, so any force in that direction will compress the spring, so you dont need a little bushing there to absorb load. Obviously having bumpstops is important to prevent shock loading. You can still use the included bushing on top of the spring pocket for when you jack the truck up.

As the suspension cycles up and down the angle of the shock, in relation to the top shock mount, changes slightly - this happens regardless of whether a stud-top or an eyelet is used. The bushings on the top and bottom of the stud allow the shock to pivot as the the shock angle changes slightly. The procomp mount doesn't need a bushing because the shock's eyelet allows the same pivoting that the bushing normally would.

The way each of you configures your ride is up to you, but when using a stud-top mount I'm always going to have a bushing on the top and bottom of the stud. I don't know of any OEM or aftermarket setup that omits either bushing with a stud mount.

I got my washers done earlier than I thought, these should make it very easy to use the stud top without the bushing. You guys that have already bought stuff from me let me know if you want some and I will mail you pair out.

20140425_184258Custom_zpsce8afede.jpg

That's pretty beefy...I dig it! I was going to make these for your upper mounts, but to be honest, I'm glad you're tackling this because you know the dimension of your own parts best. :)
What bushing material and size are you going to use for the top and bottom of the stud mount with those washers?

Bomba02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok guys, So me and my good buddy (mechanic) were drinking last night, we usually come up with some good thing while drinking, well it seems it. lol. Anyway's we had a brainstorm convo on the stud mount upper. Comparing thoughts. So we thought about a bearing plate like a caster camber, a rear strut or shock plate, only thing would be fitment, so we toss that out the window.

Richard- We looked at your hard mount washer on bottom and bushing on top which still would let it move slightly which in my mind is all we need up top. The one thing that was brought to the table was metal on metal wouldn't it rub and eventually wear away? We thought about placing a thin nylon washer in between the washer and shock tower or brace bracket give it just that little cushion and it would cut down on noise i believe? Again just thoughts and what not my .02. Let me know what you think.

I got my washers done earlier than I thought, these should make it very easy to use the stud top without the bushing. You guys that have already bought stuff from me let me know if you want some and I will mail you pair out.

20140425_184258Custom_zpsce8afede.jpg

20140425_184310Custom_zps550afaa2.jpg

Andrew- 1st off very nice work on the bushing and brackets. They look killer. We thought of a add on or thought to toss your way. What if you made the washer like a cup, that way the side would come up and support the bushing not allowing it to blow out. it wouldn't need to be a huge lip maybe like 1/8-1/4 inch and the poly would be cut right above it. That way once bolted up its like a sealed unit....Again just tossing out my .02.

The first prototype set of my heavy duty washers and bushings is done. These are for the stock upper mounts and they're slated to go to 04blackout:

20140423_143827.jpg

20140423_145534.jpg

20140423_145625.jpg

20140423_145444.jpg

20140423_145653.jpg

I'm cross-posting this to make sure those interested see it. I've been on a hiatus from posting on here because I've been going mad inside my lab trying to get these washers machined right. This 4340 steel is pretty darned tough. This is good once it's put into place, but it makes machining it and cutting it *very* difficult. I have a small lathe and basic tooling and it has ruined just about every HSS lathe tool that I've thrown at it. It tends to extremely HOT while it's being machined...once it heats up it ruins anything you throw at it until it cools down. I finally tried out some carbide cutting tips and that seemed to be the best. So now I believe I have a way to produce many of these on a small scale.

If 04blackout is ready to go then I'll get this first set to him and have him test them. Once we work out any kinks then I'll produce more of these and they'll be for sale in my own thread like Atomic did with his mounts.

You guys both do great work and in no means am i trying to down your products or ideas, just giving my .02 because I'm debating how to set my truck up!

The one last idea i came up with is Qa1 offers a T-bar that clips in with e-clips. As long as there made out off a solid good metal they should hold the weight. So couldn't you take Richards brackets or a 3/8 piece of metal that would fit in shock tower. Cut the plate to recess the top of the eyelet so the T-bar sits flush, drill the two holes up into stock tower bolt it together. Would have to find out how much eyelet stick up past the T-bar as well. That way the bearing and pivot point would still be there. Technical with using a plate instead of the shock tower its still a bolt in...again just thoughts.

All this is just thoughts and ideas so we can come up with a solution. comment away!!
Thanks Billy

OP
OP
Atomic

Atomic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, you guys are right, I appreciate the input. These washers very cheap to make so im not too concerned about that, a piece of nylon would probably help some, but I was concerned about that being crushed like the poly. I do think I have a good idea on how to do the top...wont need the stud top or the procomp adapter and should allow the same height as the stud mount, but it does require me redesigning my upper mounts. Stay tuned!

Last edited:

Tahoewhat

Ballin' on a Budget
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea, you guys are right, I appreciate the input. These washers very cheap to make so im not too concerned about that, a piece of nylon would probably help some, but I was concerned about that being crushed like the poly. I do think I have a good idea on how to do the top...wont need the stud top or the procomp adapter and should allow the same height as the stud mount, but it does require me redesigning my upper mounts. Stay tuned!

AHHHH after i welded mine in. Doh..

1. I like the cup idea of putting the bushing in to help w/ it being squashed.

2. The nylon sounds like a good idea, but i think it would have the same results as the bushings, squashed quickly and not really help the problem b/c of weight.

3. Just my .05 of ideas.

OP
OP
Atomic

Atomic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I looked at this today and I dont think my idea is going to pan out how I envisioned it. I dont have my truck around so I have to go off old pictures and brackets I have made. Heres a good picture of the problem:

uppermountcomparisonCustom_zps23579c1c.jpg

The stud mount total length before the bushing is only about 1", while the included bearing mount is about 2.5" then another 1" for the procomp adapter. So if we are measuring from the chrome nut on the shock shaft, the stud mount needs 1" plus whatever bushing and washer, while the bearing mount needs 3.5".

I was planning on redoing the gussets to extend forward and have holes in it, so its pretty much just like the lower mount and procomp adapter. It only looks like I could save maybe half an inch to and inch though, just because the bearing mount is pretty tall.

Soo....back to bushings... :/

Bomba02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I looked at this today and I don't think my idea is going to pan out how I envisioned it. I dont have my truck around so I have to go off old pictures and brackets I have made. Heres a good picture of the problem:

uppermountcomparisonCustom_zps23579c1c.jpg

The stud mount total length before the bushing is only about 1", while the included bearing mount is about 2.5" then another 1" for the procomp adapter. So if we are measuring from the chrome nut on the shock shaft, the stud mount needs 1" plus whatever bushing and washer, while the bearing mount needs 3.5".

I was planning on redoing the gussets to extend forward and have holes in it, so its pretty much just like the lower mount and procomp adapter. It only looks like I could save maybe half an inch to and inch though, just because the bearing mount is pretty tall.

Soo....back to bushings... :/

Good info right there with the pictures brings it all together. That would be a nifty mount with the provision to expect the bearing top mount.

So if i made something for the T-BAR to work in the end it will only change it about in inch. hmmmm.....

Im thinking we got to try Andrew bushing and if not add the lip to make it a cup to support the poly.

Billy

OP
OP
Atomic

Atomic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty much...I dont think im going to modify my current design because that would take away the ability to run the stud top or the stock shocks. I tried finding a ball and socket joint that would work, but havent had much success. I think ridetech has something similar for their coilovers.

OP
OP
Atomic

Atomic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So a lifted tahoe guy is getting ready to install his stuff...plans on using a solid spacer in place of the bushing.

Attachments

• IMG_20140514_081932_990.jpg
    IMG_20140514_081932_990.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20140425_133447_471.jpg
    IMG_20140425_133447_471.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 26

Abstrastic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So a lifted tahoe guy is getting ready to install his stuff...plans on using a solid spacer in place of the bushing.

I am curious to know how this works on a 4wd Tahoe that gets used to its potential. I am wanting to get rid of the torsion bars as mine are a bit worn out.

How much lift is he planning to achieve with these and which coil over is he using?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hoesb4tows

Latest posts