Any aluminum radiators that don't crack annually?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so I have no experience in aluminum radiators in these trucks but do in just about everything else.

my 2 cents is its the manufacturer not so much that it's aluminium. we got a batch from one company and they would bearly make it thru the summer, when the original brass would last 20 years in an industrial environment. we then found a company making brass replacements. they were hit or miss, they didn't get the top cap neck sealed to the tank well but didn't leak around the tube to tank. we then found a odd listing for a tractor under the pro side of napa that showed it fit. all aluminum but 600$ instead of the 200 of everything else. order a few anyways and they were bullet proof. none have failed in years of use. you could tell they were built better and much heavier than the others.

on a side note, the company doesn't make them anymore of course. I scored the last few off an Amazon listing of all places and are on the shelf for later.

on the car note.. I know a lot of aluminum radiators are not welded together because it's very difficult. they epoxy where the tubs hit the tanks. our local radiator repair shop won't even weld on them because of this. but if you find a company like dwitts, that all the corvette guys use. they are 100% welded. will even make custom mods to them for you. but they are also pricey. I believe pushing 800$ these days.

so yeah, all that said, probably go oem at this point. it's just cheaper and easier but they do make aluminum radiators that last. it's just impossible to find cheaply. my dwitts I scored used off ebay. crashed car from a part out site, it was old when I got it little tweeked in the crash and looked like it fell off a cliff went it showed up with basically no packing and all the ports torn thru the box. but pressure tested it and said may as well try it. it's been solid for a few years now. no leaks and it's been thru track days with high Temps.

if they made one for our truck, I would definitely trust it.

oh at work we had "four seasons radiator" make us a few odd ball radiators for Toyota powered cargo tugs. they were pricey as well and we had to ship them a old radiator to copy. Toyota discontinued the OEM ones so this was our only option. we've only used one so far, but it's been in service for about 3 years now without issue it's all aluminum too.

sub08

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I would avoid GMPARTSGIANT - They sent me DORMAN 4WD actuator instead of OEM as I was expecting and I had to pay restocking fee and shipping for it. I will say away from them. I also read lots of people had bad experience with GMPARTSDIRECT.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would avoid GMPARTSGIANT - They sent me DORMAN 4WD actuator instead of OEM as I was expecting and I had to pay restocking fee and shipping for it. I will say away from them. I also read lots of people had bad experience with GMPARTSDIRECT.
Funny. I’ve ordered from both of those with zero issues over the years. Every company has a hiccup here and there. Besides that, this thread is about finding an aftermarket aluminum radiator that lasts, not OEM dealerships.

sub08

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Funny. I’ve ordered from both of those with zero issues over the years. Every company has a hiccup here and there. Besides that, this thread is about finding an aftermarket aluminum radiator that lasts, not OEM dealerships.
I never had an issue until this purchase when they replaced it with a Dorman brand. I just want my experience heard so that you guys don't go through the same thing I did.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I never had an issue until this purchase when they replaced it with a Dorman brand. I just want my experience heard so that you guys don't go through the same thing I did.
I've been running a Dorman TB on my '07 for 40K miles and no problems noted. Some parts houses will sub in a quality aftermarket part when the OEM no longer makes the part. I agree they should let you know that before you buy, but I find Dorman parts to be perfectly acceptable 99% of the time.

sub08

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've been running a Dorman TB on my '07 for 40K miles and no problems noted. Some parts houses will sub in a quality aftermarket part when the OEM no longer makes the part. I agree they should let you know that before you buy, but I find Dorman parts to be perfectly acceptable 99% of the time.
I have no issue with Dorman product. I always preferred OEM and it is available. They should have told me especially when I paid premium for it.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have no issue with Dorman product. I always preferred OEM and it is available. They should have told me especially when I paid premium for it.
It’s usually in the fine print but those two companies have had the least complaints from members here over the years, they’re actually two of the best online dealer parts sellers. I would say your hiccup is pretty rare for them if they indeed didn’t have it in writing but it is noted. It’s the first time I’ve heard anything negative about either of those.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dvnt