Alternator Suggestions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the dreaded "battery not charging" on my 2005 Suburban 2500 this evening. Of course, it was after dark... Anyway, I'm on the hunt for a replacement alternator, and wanted to see if anyone had specific suggestions? I'm thinking of going for a little more powerful one.

Suggestions?

Thanks.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I could be wrong (happens for sure), but I would expect a 2500 series to have been outfitted with a beefy HD/high output alternator from the factory. Heavier duty than the 1500 model.

Do you feel that the factory-original for 2500 is not HD enough?

If it were mine... I would think that whatever the original generator that was originally issued on the 2500, would be plenty of power output.

Unless it was outfitted with all kinds of power-sucking accessories for overland/live-in adventures...
Then maybe something with more juice than the 2500 HD original equipment would be required.

Just guessing here, but AC Delco would probably be recommended as the best replacement in terms of quality and lifespan.
They do perform well and last many miles/years.

OP
OP
S33k3r

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I could be wrong (happens for sure), but I would expect a 2500 series to have been outfitted with a beefy HD/high output alternator from the factory. Heavier duty than the 1500 model.

Do you feel that the factory-original for 2500 is not HD enough?

If it were mine... I would think that whatever the original generator that was originally issued on the 2500, would be plenty of power output.

Unless it was outfitted with all kinds of power-sucking accessories for overland/live-in adventures...
Then maybe something with more juice than the 2500 HD original equipment would be required.

Just guessing here, but AC Delco would probably be recommended as the best replacement in terms of quality and lifespan.
They do perform well and last many miles/years.
Thanks. I'm just considering over-engineering for better longevity. Yes, the original lasted 17 years (theoretically), but I'm young enough that may not be long enough, LOL.

OP
OP
S33k3r

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Original amp rating is 105 and 145 optional.
I haven't done any digging, but I likely have a 145; I have the marker lights to run, and I may have provisioning for a snow plow, for example. I was considering 160 - 200 amps, but it may just be a pipe dream.

RaiderRodney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have 6.0L...
Rockauto.com has a new AC Delco 160 Amp for $153.

They are forum sponsors.
You can get another 5% off that...

I just suggest looking it over good to make sure it's a match when you get it in, no matter where you buy one. I ordered a brand new AC Delco alternator for my DSM last year and the numbers on the box and alternator matched...it wasn't even close. I did a return on it and got the replacement in...completely different alternator with matching numbers again on both box and the alternator and it wasn't even close again! Boxes and alternators were both mislabeled twice! I finally got the right one locally after two weeks of waiting and frustration.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I haven't done any digging, but I likely have a 145; I have the marker lights to run, and I may have provisioning for a snow plow, for example. I was considering 160 - 200 amps, but it may just be a pipe dream.

No need to dig deep; the amp rating should be stamped into the alternator housing.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Original amp rating is 105 and 145 optional.
shouldn't be on a 2500, should be 145 min or 160, haven't seen a 105 on much of anything in a long time, but I could be wrong
that being said anything off the shelf at the autoparts store should be fine, upgrades like a mechman for instance take 4-6 weeks to get

OP
OP
S33k3r

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. We are down two vehicles at the moment -- my daughter came over to lend us her truck -- so I went ahead and limped mine to my mechanic. And, yes, I know alternators are typically easy -- I replaced the last one we needed to replace (daughter's truck, ironically!), but I do not have time to do it, and my other vehicle may not be available until Friday. So I'm paying for the part and like $100 more for removal and replacement. And the guy is honest -- so I'll have a part and labor warranty.

Thank you, all of you, for the suggestions. I really appreciate it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jake 2015 GMC Yuk