Airbag light goes on/off randomly

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Randy Whistler

Living the dream! I'm just not sure who's dream
Reaction score
OK, here's the latest weirdness - but first some background. The ABS and Airbag lights have always been on since I've owned the truck. I was able to find the info I needed to know here on the forum, and checked under the hood. IIRC, the relays for both the ABS & Airbag were NOT in their place, meaning someone before me had removed them. Based on information gathered here, that did not seem to be an issue so I put that off to the side.

Today, however, the Airbag light goes off from time to time. There is no cadence or rhythm or pattern to it, just randomly. It does not seem to matter when hitting bumps in the road or smooth, temperature does not seem to affect it, and the truck runs just like it has always.

A week or so ago, I had to repair the PRNDL indicator so I had to disassemble the dash. Everything on the dash works properly and has since I reassembled it. I do remember considering removing the bulbs for the ABS and Airbag indicators when I had it apart, and I seem to remember fiddling with one of the bulb holders there but don't remember which. I decided not to remove the bulbs since I was not sure which one was what, and just didn't feel like fooling with it.

My main suspect is that I did not get the bulb back in tight enough when fiddling about, and it's just losing contact from time to time. I'll have to check that this coming weekend. It's also possible that I inadvertently damaged something else during the repair, but I tried to be as careful and **** as possible so while it's a possibility, I think it's minimal.

If there was a pattern or cadence to it, I would think it was an error code of some sort. Since it's totally random I'm leaning more toward a contact issue. Is this oddity something that happens with these trucks?

I should say I have not ruled out an exorcism yet, either. . . . :angels2:

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
OK, here's the latest weirdness - but first some background. The ABS and Airbag lights have always been on since I've owned the truck. I was able to find the info I needed to know here on the forum, and checked under the hood. IIRC, the relays for both the ABS & Airbag were NOT in their place, meaning someone before me had removed them. Based on information gathered here, that did not seem to be an issue so I put that off to the side.

Today, however, the Airbag light goes off from time to time. There is no cadence or rhythm or pattern to it, just randomly. It does not seem to matter when hitting bumps in the road or smooth, temperature does not seem to affect it, and the truck runs just like it has always.

A week or so ago, I had to repair the PRNDL indicator so I had to disassemble the dash. Everything on the dash works properly and has since I reassembled it. I do remember considering removing the bulbs for the ABS and Airbag indicators when I had it apart, and I seem to remember fiddling with one of the bulb holders there but don't remember which. I decided not to remove the bulbs since I was not sure which one was what, and just didn't feel like fooling with it.

My main suspect is that I did not get the bulb back in tight enough when fiddling about, and it's just losing contact from time to time. I'll have to check that this coming weekend. It's also possible that I inadvertently damaged something else during the repair, but I tried to be as careful and **** as possible so while it's a possibility, I think it's minimal.

If there was a pattern or cadence to it, I would think it was an error code of some sort. Since it's totally random I'm leaning more toward a contact issue. Is this oddity something that happens with these trucks?

I should say I have not ruled out an exorcism yet, either. . . . :angels2:

Find a good scanner and pull the codes. Maybe you have a goofy impact sensor.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Does a sensor not trigger a dash light? I had wondered if something like this might be the issue, and was going to slap the reader on this weekend and see what it had to say. Thanks!

Just the airbag light. You will need a scanner that can read abs and airbag modules to see the codes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645