Air Ride Adaptive Suspension failure in cold climates?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BrokerThis

'22 Denali Dmax
Reaction score
@Stbentoak you seem to have good input/advise on all fronts... with having this setback on the service error, given the chance to swap out rigs, would you take one with air ride or just go MRC?

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My air ride has been flawless, and it just floats down the road. I had air ride in my last Grand Cherokee for 6 years and over 100K miles, gave me no problems....
I have no reason to not like it so far. I'm very happy with my rig overall, just disappointed in these supply chain issues. I know it affects all industries and people everywhere are waiting on things and paying more than ever. I think in this climate, you take what you can get if you need a vehicle...we don't have the luxury of picking and choosing "Nice to haves" anymore...

OP
OP
N

ND Airstream

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello,
I’m wondering if there is any update on this? I’m having the same issue. 2021 Yukon at4 with 9k miles, had it for about 9mo, went to drive in slightly below zero temps (after warming up for about 30 min) & had suspension failure almost immediately (with 2/3 kids in my car). It was not a fun situation.
Front end was pretty much on the ground.
Had it towed to dealership immediately & still no one has an answer or a solution. They also have no loaners.
This has been over 3 weeks!!!
Last week they reached out and said “GM is aware of the situation but they have no solutions. So you can pick it up, drive it and if it happens again bring it back”.
Are you kidding me??! Yea, no. I’m not jeopardizing my family’s safety.
I have been trying to contact someone for a rental at least. We cannot be without a second vehicle any longer .
Has anyone on this forum had any luck at all? Any progress or solutions? What are they offering you if they can’t fix it??
Very frustrated over here.
Thanks in advance!!
Sorry to hear about your trouble - it is shocking and ended my lifelong support for the brand - more than ten yukons or 'burbans in total for me - most were new. I too was sent home the first time only to have it collapse completely and start the from tires wearing in an unsafe manner. Update that you request - about three weeks into waiting for a long list of parts (with no loaner), I gave up and sold my '21 AT4 to the GM dealership that is now attempting to repair it - different dealer than the selling dealership and my sale had nothing to do with lemon law for what that it is worth. Because of the bizarrely constrained world we live in, I literally got more $ for it than what I paid new, a year ago after 11k miles, even after accounting for lost sales tax - maybe that's a route for you - check the KBB values. Because my "old" Yukon still sits near a road on my way to and from work, I can see that they must still be waiting on parts in the same spot - that's about a six week wait (probably enough for the applicable lemon law to be relevant if I still had it) though I do see that many of the other units in the same "deflated" condition have now moved from the graveyard and maybe that means a fix is in the works for others??? My research before I sold: most northern tier (cold) dealers were without parts; most of the needed parts are made in Mexico; some northern dealers had failures as the units were unloaded from the transport and had yet to even hit the lot; and finally, some service writers were more open than others and shared that the fixes being recommended were deemed temporary to them. As for a rental, GM (via customer care) will cover ~$50 per day if you can find something but it won't be a $75,000 SUV. As for my research into alternatives, sadly, I am waiting for German engineering to solve all my troubles (joke) as I ordered a '22 Mercedes GLS 450 that should arrive in a month. Sorry this isn't much help for you.

GoNoGo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wish the temperature described on the NHTSA alert was more defined rather than broadly described as "very cold"..

Never mind, I didn't read the NHTSA article all the way through.. :happy3:

Last edited:

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wish the temperature described on the NHTSA alert was more defined rather than broadly described as "very cold"..

..because to someone from Buffalo NY that's like 20 below zero, whereas the wifey here in Georgia thinks 20* is very cold :happy3:

/
It is, it says below 0F (-15C) in the document

1672857896539.png

For us MN folks, thats just a normal day in January/Feb

GoNoGo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, dunno how I overlooked those specifics, and I shouldn't have any worries living in Georgia :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Punteh

Reaction score
Found this info on nhtsa.gov, apparently there is possible issue w/ the seals in cold temps:

That bulletin seems to identify the 2021 and 2022 models and I'm assuming it identifies the parts to supposedly fix the issue. Do you think that means they used proper seals on 2023 models to hopefully avoid the issue all together? I've been wanting to get an air ride equipped Yukon but then reading about the issues that people have had with air ride in cold weather and living in Northern Ontario has got me second guessing it.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That bulletin seems to identify the 2021 and 2022 models and I'm assuming it identifies the parts to supposedly fix the issue. Do you think that means they used proper seals on 2023 models to hopefully avoid the issue all together? I've been wanting to get an air ride equipped Yukon but then reading about the issues that people have had with air ride in cold weather and living in Northern Ontario has got me second guessing it.
Who knows, one would think they would make an engineering change to incorporate fixed seals if that is the problem. I’m in Minnesota and have a 2022. It’s soaked for 10ish hours at -10 already with no issues. About 11.5k miles on the rig. Owned it 11 months now. Was built 1/6/2022. I’d not sweat it and order it up.

Punteh

Reaction score
Who knows, one would think they would make an engineering change to incorporate fixed seals if that is the problem. I’m in Minnesota and have a 2022. It’s soaked for 10ish hours at -10 already with no issues. About 11.5k miles on the rig. Owned it 11 months now. Was built 1/6/2022. I’d not sweat it and order it up.
Like with any vehicle it's one of those things that some vehicles will have issues with and others will be issue free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KCW_Andrew