Aftermarket horn install question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thdrill

Reaction score
I am in need of replacing my OEM horn in my 2003 Tahoe as every time I hit the horn now for more than 5 seconds it blows the fuse. My question is I am interested in looking at some aftermarket models but note that they all seem to be a single wire installation while my OEM appears to be two, let alone horns on both sides of the vehicle combining into one. Is there something I'm missing as I can't seem to figure out how to put this puzzle together. Any assistance would be welcome.

Thanks

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Instead of using the horns power/ground, you need to add a relay and have the OEM horn button trigger the relay to turn on the aftermarket horns.

Mr. 960

Full Access Member
Reaction score
one wire horn is just positive wire, and the metal horn grounds itself. GM started using two wire horns, power and ground, do to many cars having a lot of plastic/composite materials resulting in a poor ground. As long as you install to the frame or core support you should be fine with just power. Use a volt meter to locate the power lead form your original horn weather pack connector. As stated above, if these new horns draw a lot of current, use a relay to power them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ep33401