Random question about gears

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

th3 shifty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am currently in the process of refurbishing my Tahoe, and doing a 6” lift with 35” tires.

My front diff case has leaks from the axles and the drive shaft seal, so it needs to be taken apart anyway.

I want to go with a 4.56 gearing when the truck is complete but since the diff is out now, and needs its seals re-done, I wanted to change the gearing now instead of opening the case up twice.

Here’s the question/dilema. I know the rear axle will also need the 4.56 gearing and a new true track installed. What I want to do is, have the front diff done now, get it reinstalled with the lift kit and be done with it, then when that’s done, drive the tahoe back to the driveline shop and have them do the rear… question, if I install everything BUT LEAVE OUT THE FRONT DRIVE SHAFT… am I ok to drive the truck with the 4.56 gearing in the front diff and the rear still being the 3.73 open diff to the driveline shop?

Hoesgottaeat2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you leave the front drive shaft out you’ll be fine.
You could even leave the front drive shaft installed, as long as you don’t engage the 4WD.
I personally would leave the front drive shaft out until you match the rear.
This way there’s no chance of that 4WD being engaged and things going kaboom.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia