Aftermarket Head units question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WooDoggie

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What about the rear HVAC controls, are they in the On-screen Controls?

jets

Reaction score
What about the rear HVAC controls, are they in the On-screen Controls?

Yes HVAC all works in digital form except the digital heated/cooled seats. Those only work through hardware buttons and rear HVAC controls are accessed though a secondary screen. Of note, the new knobs from left/center/right control volume/fan speed/temp (for both sides); individual temp controls are only available in digital form now.

JLNwebb0922

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing! I too went down the rabbit hole... And there is almost no information or useful videos available for this model. After finally finding a demo video on YT (the one of your truck), I ended up ordering one from AutoTec as well. It should arrive tomorrow.

Now that its all dialed in- do you have any pics your current setup? Are you running any launchers?

jets

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing! I too went down the rabbit hole... And there is almost no information or useful videos available for this model. After finally finding a demo video on YT (the one of your truck), I ended up ordering one from AutoTec as well. It should arrive tomorrow.

Now that its all dialed in- do you have any pics your current setup? Are you running any launchers?
Actually first thing I did was install Nova Prime. The stock screen is so nasty; switched to the modern one and deleted all the shortcuts and widgets off the home screen for those odd times nova doesn't get displayed. When I ran android phones I always had it setup nice n crispy the way I like. After some time I found others did the same and I love it. Even made some widgets using the font GM uses on their webpage. I'll get some screenshots uploaded tonight if I can. It's running perfect for me the last few weeks.

JLNwebb0922

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Glad to hear! I look forward to checking checking it out. Mine arrived today, might try to knock out the install tomorrow.

Hoping to have the same experience!

jets

Reaction score
This is the way I have set it up. I resized them so it's not overwhelming here; I made some custom icons based on the Nova icon set. I have a single screen and the dock row at the bottom has 3 pages like a carousel so the difference can be seen between the first 3 images. I like those apps to be hidden and out of the way since they are for streaming video or settings on the other page. The blue gears is the GT6 settings and green gears is android settings. I used KWGT to make the two custom widgets just the way I like. They are configured so a tap of the weather widget opens a preferred weather app and the date launches my calendar. I also hid the icon labels because it's just more clutter and the whole point of icons is kind of defeated.

S0TCw.png
S0TC9.png
S0TCh.png
S0TC3.png

jets

Reaction score
Glad to hear! I look forward to checking checking it out. Mine arrived today, might try to knock out the install tomorrow.

Hoping to have the same experience!

Good luck with the install and go slow. I would install the external microphone unless you plan to use the OEM bluetooth for calls. I was going to install the external mic behind the top of the screen out of sight but ran out of time the last go.

OP
OP
R

rick1024

Reaction score
i went with the white automotive upgrade including android auto and the full unlock deal. its great, now i just need to get the cluster done so i can have my steering wheel controls back

JLNwebb0922

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
This is the way I have set it up. I resized them so it's not overwhelming here; I made some custom icons based on the Nova icon set. I have a single screen and the dock row at the bottom has 3 pages like a carousel so the difference can be seen between the first 3 images. I like those apps to be hidden and out of the way since they are for streaming video or settings on the other page. The blue gears is the GT6 settings and green gears is android settings. I used KWGT to make the two custom widgets just the way I like. They are configured so a tap of the weather widget opens a preferred weather app and the date launches my calendar. I also hid the icon labels because it's just more clutter and the whole point of icons is kind of defeated.

View attachment 418556
View attachment 418557
View attachment 418558
View attachment 418559
Nice and clean!

Update: finishing up the install at the moment- all is looking good. Only thing is that I seem to have it set to the wrong vehicle console setting, as Im not seeing my stock console yet. AC controls work, but not 100% properly. Any tips? Otherwise I’ll be on the phone in the am!

stevepd0906

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
i went with the white automotive upgrade including android auto and the full unlock deal. its great, now i just need to get the cluster done so i can have my steering wheel controls back
White Automotive upgraded my cluster a few months ago. Works perfect! What head unit upgrade did you have done a white automotive? I didn't see an android head unit on White Automotive`s website.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019