AFM/DOD delete plugs or valley cover

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Danyi2170

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I’m in the process of putting together a DOD delete setup. What’s the difference between the DOD plugs and the valley cover? Big price increase for the covers compared to just the plugs. Some Katech options were over $400.

Mean_Green

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For anyone else sort of new to these vehicles that may not be familiar with acronyms and abbreviations:

"Active Fuel Management (formerly known as displacement on demand (DoD)) is a trademarked name for the automobile variable displacement technology from General Motors.It allows a V6 or V8 engine to "turn off" half of the cylinders under light-load conditions to improve fuel economy."

wikipedia.2x.pnghttps://en.wikipedia.org › wiki › Active_Fuel_Management

Nothing of any definition came up in a board wide search, so now, maybe it will.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I’m in the process of putting together a DOD delete setup. What’s the difference between the DOD plugs and the valley cover? Big price increase for the covers compared to just the plugs. Some Katech options were over $400.

I first thought you meant some kind of plug for the AFM wire harness to plug in to once you remove the AFM VLOM to install a valley cover.

Now I'm thinking that by "plugs" you mean to block off the AFM towers cast into the block. IMO, the plugs are better. They're way cheaper and are more reliable than a valley cover with O-ring gaskets. Gaskets eventually fail. This is not something to overthink or spend a ton of money on. Plug 'em and move on.

If Your GenV is like my GenIV in this area, you can use rollers from an A-37 wheel bearing. That'll give you 20-something tower plugs for under $20. You'll only need eight.

I had my engine out and didn't know about the wheel bearing trick so I tapped mine for set screws to plug 'em.

img_0934-jpg.jpg

OP
OP
Danyi2170

Danyi2170

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I first thought you meant some kind of plug for the AFM wire harness to plug in to once you remove the AFM VLOM to install a valley cover.

Now I'm thinking that by "plugs" you mean to block off the AFM towers cast into the block. IMO, the plugs are better. They're way cheaper and are more reliable than a valley cover with O-ring gaskets. Gaskets eventually fail. This is not something to overthink or spend a ton of money on. Plug 'em and move on.

If Your GenV is like my GenIV in this area, you can use rollers from an A-37 wheel bearing. That'll give you 20-something tower plugs for under $20. You'll only need eight.

I had my engine out and didn't know about the wheel bearing trick so I tapped mine for set screws to plug 'em.

View attachment 396994
Just the information I was looking for. Thank you.

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am really confused here.. After you would do the port block, and VLOM mod, whats the purpose of these blocks?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
22loweryak

Latest posts