Advice-2012 Yukon Denali Front Suspension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pointer 21

Reaction score
First off thanks to everyone that's been advising me in the drivetrain thread. I've got my new transmission and now I'm looking into replacing my front end assembly. Haven't had issues with this vehicle until NOW (when it rains it pours and/or I should've been a little more attentive).

2012 Yukon Denali with 152k miles. Replaced (I believe upper A Arm many years ago)...Aside from that all original equipment when bought brand new.

Below is a quote from a shop that was looking at other issues and popped this quote on me...I think they're using MOOG parts but I didn't give them the time of day to discuss (I don't trust them).

Anyways, now that I'm dropping all this money at once I'm trying to figure what I need/don't need. I'd assume at 152k miles I likely need EVERYTHING. That said I'm considering a leveling kit/or small lift depending where we're at on price/value/fun. I've also attached a few pics (not great) from when I was under the vehicle with the mechanic.

Questions: Should I replace the entire front end with lower A arms?
Is a leveling kit a mistake?
Haven't even started thinking about the rear shocks but apparently they're toast (see pic)
Anything else I should consider before diving into another project DIRECTLY after having a new transmission...SIGH

As always, thank you all for the guidance!

1632940426638.png

Attachments

• IMG_2659.jpg
    IMG_2659.jpg
    283.9 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2660.jpg
    IMG_2660.jpg
    261.2 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2661.jpg
    IMG_2661.jpg
    276.5 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_2662.jpg
    IMG_2662.jpg
    272.5 KB · Views: 20

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
First of all, it appears that you have a truck that has (or, at least originally came with) an Autoride system (not sure if you have Z55 or z95 suspension), so if the suspension is working properly, it will auto level every time that you start the truck. So, no separate level work in needed. To confirm, look at the RPO list on your glove box cover and see if you have a Z55 or Z95 RPO code.

I just re-introduced my truck to its original Z55 suspension, as a previous owner had stripped it out and replaced it with a cheap passive suspension products. Since my truck has 145k miles, I decided to replace all control arms and ball joints (they came as pre-assembled units), springs and struts (including all strut components top to bottom) on the front, and springs, compressor and air shocks on the rear. I also replaced both stock sway bars with Hellwig sway bars, along with all new end links and bushings.

It was not a cheap project, but now, I have the confidence that all suspension components are new and within spec. And, the ride is much better.

Other folks will chime in with their opinions and perspectives.

Last edited:

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First off thanks to everyone that's been advising me in the drivetrain thread. I've got my new transmission and now I'm looking into replacing my front end assembly. Haven't had issues with this vehicle until NOW (when it rains it pours and/or I should've been a little more attentive).

2012 Yukon Denali with 152k miles. Replaced (I believe upper A Arm many years ago)...Aside from that all original equipment when bought brand new.

Below is a quote from a shop that was looking at other issues and popped this quote on me...I think they're using MOOG parts but I didn't give them the time of day to discuss (I don't trust them).

Anyways, now that I'm dropping all this money at once I'm trying to figure what I need/don't need. I'd assume at 152k miles I likely need EVERYTHING. That said I'm considering a leveling kit/or small lift depending where we're at on price/value/fun. I've also attached a few pics (not great) from when I was under the vehicle with the mechanic.

Questions: Should I replace the entire front end with lower A arms?
Is a leveling kit a mistake?
Haven't even started thinking about the rear shocks but apparently they're toast (see pic)
Anything else I should consider before diving into another project DIRECTLY after having a new transmission...SIGH

As always, thank you all for the guidance!

View attachment 351666
Rock Auto:

ACDelco Professional Complete Control Arm with Ball Joint (45D2471/45D2472) = $75.79 each *
ACDelco Professional Lower Ball Joint (45D2271) = $47.79 Each *
ACDelco Sway Bar Link (88912151) = 10.56 each
ACDelco Complete Strut Assembly (19324406) = $105.99 each
ACDelco GM OE CV Assembly (22789359) = $293.99

Parts above come out to $678.67. So if they use the same or comparable parts, it's not out of line.

Now let's look at the labor:

Control Arm Replacement: 3.5 Hours for both sides *
Lower Ball Joint Replacement: 4 Hours for both sides *
Sway Bar Link Replacement: .7 Hours for both sides
Strut Assembly Replacement: 1.9 Hours for both sides
CV Axle Replacement: 2 Hours for one side

Their labor charges are not out of line either.

* = One or the other depending on what estimate refers to.

OP
OP
P

Pointer 21

Reaction score
Dang, you gentlemen sure know your stuff! I believe I have the Z55 (pic below).

I prefer to go big or go home but with everything hitting at once, I may have to phase whats necessary in for the time being. It really appears that it's the parts and not the labor on most of this

Attachments

• Dash.jpg
    Dash.jpg
    294.2 KB · Views: 12

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
As your RPO sticker shows, your truck came out of the factory with a Z55 suspension. If you do the suspension work in steps, I suggest that you tackle the rear suspension first. If you are reasonably handy with tools, and you have a basic tool set, and a jack, you could perform the rear suspension upgrade (shocks and compressor) on your own, so the labor would be free. It is a fairly easy job to tackle, and there are plenty of great YouTube videos that will walk you through the process, step by step..

Then, when you are ready to upgrade the front suspension, you could choose to have others perform the work, as it is bit more complex and may require additional tools (like a high capacity set of spring compressors).

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dang, you gentlemen sure know your stuff! I believe I have the Z55 (pic below).

I prefer to go big or go home but with everything hitting at once, I may have to phase whats necessary in for the time being. It really appears that it's the parts and not the labor on most of this
Well, if your lower ball joints really are that bad, then replace them and the end links. I forget what was said to be wrong with the CV axle. Definitely need to replace the rear air shocks and possibly the compressor. The front struts can wait.

OP
OP
P

Pointer 21

Reaction score
Considering I have the Z55 suspension - Am I able to put a lift on the vehicle? That said- should I (assuming I can).

I have a 2001 Chevrolet Z71 with 35's (it's a toy so I've been there and done that). I was considering either a leveling kit or MAYBE a 3 inch lift.....

I have OEM 22's and would want something smooth, should I go that direction (Seems like it would be the same cost as replacing stock)

jyi786

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm considering doing this soon too. What I'm hoping you all can do is help out with part numbers. I'm obviously keeping the Autoride Z55 (none of that bypassing mess).

Should I be going AC Delco OEM? Or is Arnott ok as well for the OEM factory-type ride? They have complete shock sets that are for Z95 which I read are interchangeable for the Z55 suspension systems.

Here is the front:

And this is the rear:

Dnrodgers11

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am looking to do the same with my 2009 LTZ, I appreciate the info everyone!

OP
OP
P

Pointer 21

Reaction score
Considering I have the Z55 suspension - Am I able to put a lift on the vehicle? That said- should I (assuming I can).

I have a 2001 Chevrolet Z71 with 35's (it's a toy so I've been there and done that). I was considering either a leveling kit or MAYBE a 3 inch lift.....

I have OEM 22's and would want something smooth, should I go that direction (Seems like it would be the same cost as replacing stock)
I have yet to make a move on my suspension components. My question is what I should do if I decide to upgrade/lift/level? With everything being TOAST under the vehicle this would be the time to do it-correct?

I was looking into this lift attached? Would this work with Z55 and what would the pros/cons be? I’m not trying to make this a complete toy but I do go off road (nothing crazy just hunting and ranch roads).

Looking forward to y’all’s input!

Thanks

Attachments

• 2F8218E9-747F-4A39-97F3-BCE27421ADC5.png
    2F8218E9-747F-4A39-97F3-BCE27421ADC5.png
    691.5 KB · Views: 4

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu