Adding OEM Tahoe Transf. Case "skid plate" [2015-2020]

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R Black

Reaction score
If you are adding the OEM transfer case skid plate, GM PN 20922755, and have obtained OEM bolts, GM PN 11517817, 10mm-1.5x25mm (they are SEMS-like, about 3/4, captive washer, galv.) to bolt the OEM transfer case skid plate to the cross member on a vehicle not so equipped from the factory, the four bolt holes may not be tapped. You'll need a 10mm Coarse tap to make the threads. It can be done w/o jacking the vehicle.
Do not over tighten the bolts.

PS, the OEM plate is at least half the thickness of the '73 - '91 K Blazer/Sub, not very substantial if you wish to do so you can double up on the plates, I think, as it seems like 2 of them would 'spoon' together, but I would seal them together with black bituminous pipe insulation to keep dirt and water from between them, and complete the truss effect by running at least one bolt through both plates on the trailing end to make sure you get more of the strength effect from doubling them up.

I only bought one so I can't confirm they will 'spoon' together.

DWTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The bolts I received from GM will tap themselves. Just go slow, thread the bolts first without the plate on there. You are correct though, don't over tighten them or they will strip out easier than a normal bolt and nut that size. This applies to all the bolts you receive if you order all 3 plates from GM.

The doubling up on the transfer plate seems overkill to me. These are not made for rock crawling if you want to support the weight of the truck on the transfer skid plate you better get a custom one made with much more bracing.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
online you can buy the "kit" for the colorado which inlcudes the bolts that same kit should fit 00-20 colorado, silverado, tahoe, yukon, escalade, avalanche etc. there all the same

nglauer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
online you can buy the "kit" for the colorado which inlcudes the bolts that same kit should fit 00-20 colorado, silverado, tahoe, yukon, escalade, avalanche etc. there all the same
All of them use the same skid plates?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

nglauer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dealership told me I need bolt part number 11518341 to install my skid plates?

That number conflicts with what is above? Fastenal told me they could find me a bolt for less, if I could give them size/specs. I assume all of these require a self tapping/threading type bolt?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Nick

Last edited:

nglauer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Scratch that... Looks like the party number I have is the replacement number.

nglauer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Curious though... These look like standard body panel bolts. I thought the bolts in the kit were designed to cut their own threads in? Is it just a standard bolt that will require a tap, or should I plan on buying something different?

Thanks!

DWTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine looked like regular bolts but they did "tap" themselves. Just don't over tighten them, they strip easy.

nglauer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fastenal had a decent deal on a package of bolts that are similar to the factory ones. I went ahead and ordered them. I'll share the part number when I get them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truckinscooby

Latest posts