Adaptive Cruise slams on brakes randomly

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Duneit

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello all, I have a 2023 Yukon and I use the adaptive cruise control all the time. On the freeway I use Super Cruise. Randomly, but always when turning left, the car will slam on its brakes when there's a car in the right lane. It thinks the car is in my lane. It is very unnerving when going 75 mph on the freeway using Super Cruise and all of a sudden the car slams on its brakes. Fortunately no one has been right behind me when this happens or else it could get real ugly really quick. A couple days ago I'm using Adaptive Cruise on a 2 lane road at 55 MPH and the car slammed on its brakes with a bicyclist in the bike lane. I was turning left and it thought I was going to hit it. Again, very unnerving jsut cruising along and all of a sudden your car slams on its brakes. Dealer doesn't have a clue. Anyone else experience this?

BigdawgR6

Reaction score
I don't have Super Cruise or adaptive cruise control but my Denali slammed on the brakes which scared the crap out of me. There was a pedestrian standing on a very thin medium used to separate traffic that was turning and not meant for people to stand on. The cameras picked it up which in turn caused the car to brake right away. As I passed him, the car returned to driving normal. Hasn't done it again since then.

Sorry... I know that doesn't help you at all and is unrelated but maybe there's some type of sensitivity adjustment the dealer can apply?

Strangely enough if a car is turning into a parking lot and I'm directly behind, I'll get alerted to brake which I don't because I'm far back enough to just coast. I've always wondered how close I need to get before the car takes over and applied the brakes. Though I don't plan on testing that.

tagexpcom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just did my 1st freeway driving with 2021 Yukon Denali Adaptive Cruise and going slower due to towing. As cars pass and merge in front of me it's causing the rig to slow from 65mph to 50-55mph immediately / unnecessarily in my opinion as the cars are going 75mph and accelerating ahead of me rapidly. Seems to quick to react.

I turned off adaptive cruise but found that regular cruise won't show on the heads-up display whereas adaptive cruise does. Sigh....

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Exactly why I turn all that stuff off, it is imperfect technology and annoying at best
all it's going to take is one person not prepared or it happens at the exact wrong time and bam

Last edited:

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Exactly why I turn all that stuff off, it is imperfect technology and annoying at best
all it's going to take is one person not prepared or it happens at the exact wrong time and bam
I agree. Its super annoying tech and needs serious work to make it an actually helpful function. I’ve had the same scenario the OP described happen as well though not with a GM product.

In April of 2019 my mom and I had flown back to New England to head up to Vermont to put together my grams memorial. It was already a stressful and uneasy trip since my mom was constantly on the phone and I had to do all the driving. pretty sure I drove more in that 10 day stretch than I had in 4 months time at home and I was exhausted from it. Anyways we had picked up a rental down in natich, mass where we saw our other family first. Enterprise had put us in a Kia soul and my mom hates those. So she got enterprise to upgrade us and they put us in a brand new tacoma quad cab that only had like 1,000 miles on it. I had not driven anything that new in a while and wasn’t aware that it only had adaptive cruise control and not regular cruise. So as I’m driving from Massachusetts up to Vermont, I forget where we were, I was getting off the main interstate, to go to a smaller side interstate. The off ramp was long and merged into the road with a stop light right where the merge happened into the main road. I had already hit the brakes and slowed from highway speed, and As I came down the off ramp the light turned green so I set the cruise control down to the 50mph limit on the smaller road and I was in the right hand lane to go through the light and keep going down the road. There was a dump truck in the left lane, just over the lines waiting to turn left across the intersection. as I came behind but still along side the dump truck the adaptive cruise slammed on the brakes, hard enough to go from 50 to like 10mph in a very short space. I’m like “what THE HECK just happened….” I couldn’t believe it was so finnicky that the adaptive cruise thought I was going to hit the dump truck. Thank god there was no one behind us because if there was it would have been a really bad accident. I immediately turned it off but then I was pissed because there was no regular cruise control to use and every time I tried using the adaptive on the longer interstate drives I was constantly having to monitor it to keep it from slowing down anytime someone moved into my lane going faster than I was and it wasn’t necessary to slow down. Needless to say when I got home after 10 days I was thrilled to be back in my old ass 2006 Denali that doesn’t have any of that lol.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree. Its super annoying tech and needs serious work to make it an actually helpful function. I’ve had the same scenario the OP described happen as well though not with a GM product.

In April of 2019 my mom and I had flown back to New England to head up to Vermont to put together my grams memorial. It was already a stressful and uneasy trip since my mom was constantly on the phone and I had to do all the driving. pretty sure I drove more in that 10 day stretch than I had in 4 months time at home and I was exhausted from it. Anyways we had picked up a rental down in natich, mass where we saw our other family first. Enterprise had put us in a Kia soul and my mom hates those. So she got enterprise to upgrade us and they put us in a brand new tacoma quad cab that only had like 1,000 miles on it. I had not driven anything that new in a while and wasn’t aware that it only had adaptive cruise control and not regular cruise. So as I’m driving from Massachusetts up to Vermont, I forget where we were, I was getting off the main interstate, to go to a smaller side interstate. The off ramp was long and merged into the road with a stop light right where the merge happened into the main road. I had already hit the brakes and slowed from highway speed, and As I came down the off ramp the light turned green so I set the cruise control down to the 50mph limit on the smaller road and I was in the right hand lane to go through the light and keep going down the road. There was a dump truck in the left lane, just over the lines waiting to turn left across the intersection. as I came behind but still along side the dump truck the adaptive cruise slammed on the brakes, hard enough to go from 50 to like 10mph in a very short space. I’m like “what THE HECK just happened….” I couldn’t believe it was so finnicky that the adaptive cruise thought I was going to hit the dump truck. Thank god there was no one behind us because if there was it would have been a really bad accident. I immediately turned it off but then I was pissed because there was no regular cruise control to use and every time I tried using the adaptive on the longer interstate drives I was constantly having to monitor it to keep it from slowing down anytime someone moved into my lane going faster than I was and it wasn’t necessary to slow down. Needless to say when I got home after 10 days I was thrilled to be back in my old ass 2006 Denali that doesn’t have any of that lol.
it's on the wifes 16 and she was just telling me the other day that it put on the brakes for no reason at all and did something else wierd.....
i told her to just turn it off, when i was test driving it before we bought it I tried to make it do a lane correction it only worked once, i guess the road conditions have to be just perfect for it work.
part of it I think is that technology doesn't like how I drive, I drive how I drive and it just goes wtf... lol alert, alert, tone, alert, seat buzz pffht **** that

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's crazy is I have been in situations where I thought it WOULD slam on the brakes and it doesn't. Red warning light flashing, and a car stopped right in from of me. It flashes at me, but I've never seen it brake? I assume it will if a crash would be imminent, but on my last vehicle it would test you a few times to let you know if you don't do something it will. But I don't get that sense on this vehicle...

OP
OP
D

Duneit

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you all for the replies. I'm glad I'm not the only one. I'm surprised I haven't heard of any major accidents caused by this sudden braking in front of another car yet.

GMCnewbee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree that adaptive cruise control is just a pain when on the highway and other vehicles come into and out of your lane. Constant braking/acceleration where an alert human can anticipate and avoid the overreactions.

I also cannot stand the lane centering features and I turn those off. When I have used it, it feels like a constant wrestling match with the vehicle. It does not do well when there are lane shifts, construction, or anything "unusual" that we humans deal with all the time.

I do admire the technology and do not mind experimenting with it, but I have to be able to turn it off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KeyMoSteel