Accessory Drive Belt Maintenance?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was a cheap (not USA) idler pulley made by a (not USA) company that allowed the accessory belt to come off at 50+ down hill, off a highway, to a intersection I couldn’t turn into or stop at.

My 3T YXL Denali had 5 teens inside and we could have all been killed because of a cheap $7 idler pulley threw the belt. My apologies is this is unrelated to the post. My point is that accessory belt is life or death at highway speeds controlling the steering, brakes and engine cooling. I do mine every 50k after that experience and only use the Gates green belt kit.
Scary shit! But, funny you should say that. I had to get rid of the cold case radiator in my 2012 today and replace it with a Denso, but at the same time I discovered when I started it up that my idler pulley is seizing up. It’s a Dayco with maybe 25K on it. So I ordered a Gates from Rock Auto today and hopefully that will solve the problem, long-term. Might go ahead and replace the tensioner again, too. Both are Dayco. Really frustrating that it’s almost impossible to get good quality parts.

Last edited:

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
That’s the ironic part is there’s made in China by GM authorized that’s OK, and there’s made in China defective parts that go to their dumpster.

The security guard arranged to sell the dumpster defects parts to Joe’s clearance store and BAM! You’re screwed.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very few GM parts are made in China. Most of GM’s parts are made in Mexico now. Any aftermarket replacement part is of lesser quality than the OEM part, no matter where it’s made. That’s why the parts are cheaper.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
things are build to the exact specs companies are willing to pay for. no matter the location of the factory.

apple can get top notch quality put of China assembly lines because they are willing to pay for it.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very few GM parts are made in China. Most of GM’s parts are made in Mexico now. Any aftermarket replacement part is of lesser quality than the OEM part, no matter where it’s made. That’s why the parts are cheaper.
only about 60% of gm parts are sourced from us, canada, mexico, leaving around 40% sourced globally with china being a significant source
that being said considering how much stuff across the board that is made in China quality varies a lot

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree that being made in China isn’t an automatic demerit, so I removed that from my post. My diaper is just full from having to redo a bunch of car projects due to shit parts - several from brands I expected better from. Moog, Dayco, Cold Case, among others.

OP
OP
EddieC

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree that being made in China isn’t an automatic demerit, so I removed that from my post. My diaper is just full from having to redo a bunch of car projects due to shit parts - several from brands I expected better from. Moog, Dayco, Cold Case, among others.
I hear that. I had a Moog control arm have bushings shot in 20,000 miles. So much for big names. Atleast the repair shop warranted it so all it cost me was time to drop the truck off. That's no excuse for the part though.

OP
OP
EddieC

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those small pulleys rotate at two or three times the RPM of the crank driver pulley so be sure to check those. Should rotate nice fluid smooth and quiet. Any doubt replace with a good name brand item. Not a good place for a cheap China bearing.
Should there be any lateral movement of the pulley on the shaft when unloaded?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alejo2160