AC Control Panel fries out with puff of smoke

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wahoo_wes

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello everyone, this is my first post but i have been using this forum for a while for awesome info. But after reading all the ac threads i still cant find my issue and i hope someone knows what the h@ll is going on with this thing.

My ac control panel was acting weird so i got a new one, problem solved, about 6 months later the new one did the same thing so i replaced it again, problem solved again, for about 2 weeks at which point it too failed. I tested the underhood relay by swapping with starter and replaced the relay by the fan motor and I put yet another one in and it failed as soon as i pressed in the round AC button which lighted for about 1 second before going off and cooking itself (burnt smell)

After reading the forums i thought i found the issue since i had exposed RCA jacks in the space where the panel goes, so i taped em up good with electrical tape, got yet another panel, hooked it up, left it hanging out of the dash, turned everything off and started the truck. as soon as the ignition engaged, a puff of smoke came off the board in the back of the panel and of course, it failed. The fan switch has no issues.

the ac runs fine if i hot-wire it and blows 38-40 degrees. i cannot figure out what is causing the control panel to fry with everything off???

I am praying someone here knows what this is???? Please help???

OP
OP
W

wahoo_wes

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
thank yhou thank you!

The section of the control panel circuit board adjacent to the ac push button, if i leave it energized it will turn a shade of brown, i will get a pic right now

---------- Post added at 03:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:43 PM ----------

getting the pics up now

OP
OP
W

wahoo_wes

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
also no fuses are blowing

---------- Post added at 04:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:52 PM ----------

Also, the plugs look good, pins look good and clean, no burn

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
Weird do you have a bigger fuse in than your supposed to? That's probably y it doesnb break and it gets too much power in and fries em

OP
OP
W

wahoo_wes

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Fuses r to spec according to panel sticker, i cant figure it oit either, but if i knew what those pins go to i would know what line its on right?

---------- Post added at 04:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:11 PM ----------

YeH, give me a sec got it rigbt here

---------- Post added at 04:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:13 PM ----------

pic is comin off the phone now, it appears to be between the temp control knob and the recirc button

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
I think you have a short in temperature motor but I can not be positive cause I am not there in person. Without going into to much detail use the diagram below disconnect the temp motor and check the those circuits for grounding issues or shorts and let me know what you find.

Front Ventilation Controls
Air Delivery and Temperature Controls
icon_note_blank.gif
Notes

Front Ventilation Controls (Part 1 Of 2)

icon_note_blank.gif
Notes

Front Ventilation Controls (Part 2 Of 2)

icon_note_blank.gif
Notes

Heater And Air Conditioning Wiring

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9