AC Control Panel fries out with puff of smoke

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
W

wahoo_wes

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
hows these?

Attachments

• IMAG0214.jpg
    IMAG0214.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 12
  • IMAG0211.jpg
    IMAG0211.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 13
OP
OP
W

wahoo_wes

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
quick update...

replaced the temp motor actuator and the vent motor actuator under dash, worked ok until i put the fan on high then the panel blew again. Ohmed out all circuits (friend did that and said no shorts found) replacing blower motor and resistor today. fan relay and underhood relay replaced, heater control valve and solenoid replaced

fingers crossed, im running out of will with this thing, 4 panels blown, cant find a short, replacing all the under-dash components, so far i am in for 4 panels, 2 door actuators, the temp valve and solenoid, 2 relays a blower motor and the resistor.

i am rapidly approaching the ultimate solution with this thing (a cliff) we shall soon see....

OP
OP
W

wahoo_wes

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
nope, all new panels, 3 rotories and 3 pushbuttons, do you mean something else?

OP
OP
W

wahoo_wes

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
yeah, new panels, about 600 worth now, if this doesnt fix it i will be completely lost. time for something else me-thinks

OP
OP
W

wahoo_wes

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
For anyone this might help out, i did finally find the issue. On the back of the control panel (behind the vent selector knob) is a ribbon connector with a bunch of wires coming out of it.

The issue in this case was the green wire, it runs directly to the PCM under the hood. Somewhere along the run, it must have chafed and shorted out.

Rather than try and pull the entire dash, i simply cut the wire at the PCM and the control panel and spliced in a brand new run. Problem solved.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ron505