About to pull the trigger on a lift/level kit...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

h0tr0d

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I bought an OBS yukon about three weeks ago and it's time for me to start modding it.

I am wanting to lift my '99 Yukon 4x4 a couple inches and fix the sagging rear springs. I'm about to order the Trail Master rear add-a-leaf kit and the torsion bar keys for the front for a 2"/2" lift. I'm also going to throw on some Pro comp shocks while I'm under there since the truck seriously needs them. I already purchased a set of Cragar Soft 8's 17x8 with 4.5" backspacing to replace the factory wheels.

I have decided to go with Nitto Terra Grapplers, but am unsure of what size to get. Price wise, I like the idea of 265/70/17's to keep it kind of close to stock but fear it will look retarded with the truck sitting a bit higher (keep in mind the stock suspension is sagging somewhat.) To go up to say a 285/70/17, it ups the price of the tires $280 bucks for the set and the load rating is increased, and I was told they'd beat me up on the road since I don't do any hauling with the truck.

So what do you guys think of this route? Any tips or suggestions? Remember, I already have the wheels, so I'm stuck with those, but everything else is still up in the air.

99_2door

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i'd go with the 285's. will look a lot better than 265's! i'm also going to run the terra grapplers and from what i've seen they last quite a long time so i wouldnt worry a whole lot about spending a little more initially on the larger size since you should get a ton of miles out of them. i'm going with 295/70/17 and 4" of lift.

OP
OP
h0tr0d

h0tr0d

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd love to lift it 4" myself, but my woman says she'll have problems putting the kiddo in his car seat...and she's probably right. I wish I could see both setups on the truck before I decided, but all I seem to find are pics of guys running the 17x9" rims.

Edit: Just checked out a previous post of yours and saw TXGMC's truck. That thing looks great! I'm glad I decided on that backspacing, it should look great with my factory flares too. I won't be getting the tires for 10 days, so I'll have a little time to ponder the size.

Last edited:

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
keys are not needed. The OBS truck should be able to crank plenty on the stockers. As for tires, 285 is a good fit

grimm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I already purchased a set of Cragar Soft 8's 17x8 with 4.5" backspacing to replace the factory wheels.

I know another member, on here, blackcoffee, would probably love to see your truck with the Cragar Soft 8's. He's mentioned those rims a "few" times here and there, haha.

Anyways, if you get some new shocks, crank the torsion bars, get a rear block or AAL, you should be able to achieve the results your looking for. Either way, sounds like a pretty good plan. Post some pics afterward.

OP
OP
h0tr0d

h0tr0d

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@bowtiefreak: Thanks for the info and btw I love your truck man! I've been trolling here for a while and have been admiring your truck big time.

@grimm: I'll definitely take some pics of the before/after/during and keep you guys updated. It'll be at least 2 weeks before I get the tires put on. I'll try and get a before pic soon, but I can't keep it clean as I've been seeing mud almost daily. Maybe I'll just post a dirty pic of it.

grimm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A dirty pic of your truck would be cool. It's nice to see some mud on them, as well as clean and shiny. Anyways, look forward to seeing your rig.

OP
OP
h0tr0d

h0tr0d

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's a semi-clean before pic. I washed it yesterday but drive about 5 miles on dirt roads and sometimes in the mud every day. Keep in mind I just got this thing 3 weeks ago, so I haven't had time to do anything really.

floqi.jpg

grimm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool, nice truck! Yours is cleaner than mine, in that pic, haha. I rarely even get a chance to drive through mud/dirt unless I'm out looking for a nice place to go off-road. I guess I've just been lazy this past month or so. Anyways, nice rig! Hope you enjoy it.

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
good looking truck. Pull the steps off and it will look taller. Maybe remove the side trim also.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lbris21