About 3500 Miles After Cylinder Head Replacement.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tomloans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello All!

It is now about 3500 miles since the replacement of cracked 706 heads to 799 heads. Here is the Blackstone numbers for 3 different oil changes. I did rapid changes to clear out any debris or remnants from the work I did. Notice copper is not good and likely rod bearing issues? Also there is still some sign of coolant in the system. Could it take this long to clear out of the oil of coolant? The good news it the coolant numbers keep going down but still higher than normal at this time. Let me know what you guys think. Car is running strong, no bearing noise, and I am not losing any coolant but the report is stating possibly otherwise.

03 TAHOE-220705.jpg

OP
OP
T

tomloans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, SUV runs like a dream. I will just keep changing the oil more often. I don't care. You all know it takes 15 minutes to change the oil on these vehicles. Thanks Swathdiver.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello All!

It is now about 3500 miles since the replacement of cracked 706 heads to 799 heads. Here is the Blackstone numbers for 3 different oil changes. I did rapid changes to clear out any debris or remnants from the work I did. Notice copper is not good and likely rod bearing issues? Also there is still some sign of coolant in the system. Could it take this long to clear out of the oil of coolant? The good news it the coolant numbers keep going down but still higher than normal at this time. Let me know what you guys think. Car is running strong, no bearing noise, and I am not losing any coolant but the report is stating possibly otherwise.

View attachment 376441

What oil do you use?

Did you add or replace any coolers (engine oil, etc.) or any other new components that may have a coating on them, even internally?

My copper and lead had a mild spike on my last report, but I also installed an EOC at the oil change prior to that one. There are other new components that could cause those readings to elevate a little. You and/or the head shop might've not been as "sanitary" as you/they could've been in the work.

I agree with James, let it eat, but monitor it. Keep an eye on your coolant levels. If you want, dump a bottle of Lucas ZDDP TB Zinc-Plus (#10063) in the oil.

OP
OP
T

tomloans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Appreciate the feedback. Will consider things or just simply drive it. No issues at all at the moment. I replace the radiator and all cooling components roughly 5k miles ago. Plus oil sensor was replaced as well as all sensors including the knock sensors. Also I replaced the oil level indicator and cover. Trying to think what else was replaced.

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
So lets look through the numbers
Sodium and potassium is coolant
Silicon is RTV and gaskets
Lead / Tin / Copper is bearings

The antifreeze percentage is going down over time
Coolant + oil like to really stick to things and stick around. So I'd expect that to be persistent for some time.

I'd keep doing you frequent change routine and don't sweat the other numbers. It takes a while for stuff to stabilize after engine work. Realistically, 20-30k for everything to break in and leech out and do whatever it needs to do to get happy and stable.

Good to keep an eye on it. Nothing wrong with UOAs to make sure you're trending in the right direction. But I wouldn't be raising alarm bells on this one. I'd only be concerned if the numbers start ticking up.

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you yourself replace the heads or did a shop?
If a shop, i would get in contact with them and ask if they maybe used a copper spray when installing the head gaskets. Perhaps they did and you are seeing some of that in the analysis.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used to have these oil reports done, but every report was doom and gloom and recommended more oil changes and more analysis. Even on a brand new car. I've been using Royal Purple filters and was using Mobil 1 but now use Red Line. I stopped doing them, none of my engines have blown up, I have less things to worry about, and more money in my pocket.

OP
OP
T

tomloans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So lets look through the numbers
Sodium and potassium is coolant
Silicon is RTV and gaskets
Lead / Tin / Copper is bearings

The antifreeze percentage is going down over time
Coolant + oil like to really stick to things and stick around. So I'd expect that to be persistent for some time.

I'd keep doing you frequent change routine and don't sweat the other numbers. It takes a while for stuff to stabilize after engine work. Realistically, 20-30k for everything to break in and leech out and do whatever it needs to do to get happy and stable.

Good to keep an eye on it. Nothing wrong with UOAs to make sure you're trending in the right direction. But I wouldn't be raising alarm bells on this one. I'd only be concerned if the numbers start ticking up.
Yep agreed thank you!

OP
OP
T

tomloans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you yourself replace the heads or did a shop?
If a shop, i would get in contact with them and ask if they maybe used a copper spray when installing the head gaskets. Perhaps they did and you are seeing some of that in the analysis.
Yes I did the entire thing myself and I think I am going to stop sending in samples until about a good 10k miles from now. Just going to change the oil more often for another year or so. Oil change costs me about 20 minutes and $35.00 at home.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pepper1700