A/C Compressor Clutch?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Billydunwoody

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You all have been helpful in the past.
I am trying to figure out if my A/C compressor clutch needs to be replaced. The A/C and heater works fine, there are no leaks, no check engine codes and the freon charge is perfect however whenever I turn the A/C on, the compressor makes a bit of noise, almost like the clutch is engaging on and off every 10 seconds. It is a little annoying if the music isn't on.
I am wondering if changing out the compressor clutch will help that or if it is normal for the compressor to do that?
Thanks

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You all have been helpful in the past.
I am trying to figure out if my A/C compressor clutch needs to be replaced. The A/C and heater works fine, there are no leaks, no check engine codes and the freon charge is perfect however whenever I turn the A/C on, the compressor makes a bit of noise, almost like the clutch is engaging on and off every 10 seconds. It is a little annoying if the music isn't on.
I am wondering if changing out the compressor clutch will help that or if it is normal for the compressor to do that?
Thanks
There is a product called the Deslugger that is designed to do that to prevent the low-mounted compressor from getting damaged due to too much oil or refrigerant at cold startup. If you are the 2nd owner of this truck, it's possible the previous owner installed one to solve a slugging problem. It's installed in line with the compressor wiring and usually mounted to the frame near the compressor. Have a look and if you find one you may be able to safely delete it.

OP
OP
B

Billydunwoody

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
There is a product called the Deslugger that is designed to do that to prevent the low-mounted compressor from getting damaged due to too much oil or refrigerant at cold startup. If you are the 2nd owner of this truck, it's possible the previous owner installed one to solve a slugging problem. It's installed in line with the compressor wiring and usually mounted to the frame near the compressor. Have a look and if you find one you may be able to safely delete it.
I will look and let you know, thank you for that info! I am the second owner, the first and original owner was Border Patrol and it was used on the Border in Arizona.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
How long have you owned the vehicle and has it always done that or did it just start recently? If you owned over a year and it did not do this last season, it could be something else. It could actually be low on charge and cycling more than normal. It could have a failing low pressure cycling switch at the accumulator. Is the noise a clicking of the clutch cycling on and off? Is it a bearing noise when it engages and does it every 10 seconds? If you could record and then post at you tube and then post a link here, that would help.

OP
OP
B

Billydunwoody

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
How long have you owned the vehicle and has it always done that or did it just start recently? If you owned over a year and it did not do this last season, it could be something else. It could actually be low on charge and cycling more than normal. It could have a failing low pressure cycling switch at the accumulator. Is the noise a clicking of the clutch cycling on and off? Is it a bearing noise when it engages and does it every 10 seconds? If you could record and then post at you tube and then post a link here, that would help.
I think it’s done this since owning it since Nov 2021 but can’t remember. It’s def more noticeable. Yes its a clicking of the clutch cycling on and off. Ill try and post a video in an hour

OP
OP
B

Billydunwoody

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ok, after filming it it seems like its going on and off. Went to O’Reilly and they tested the refrigerant level and it was perfect (green). I did not see any Deslugger either. Here is the video. Could it be a bad pressure switch?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ok, after filming it it seems like its going on and off. Went to O’Reilly and they tested the refrigerant level and it was perfect (green). I did not see any Deslugger either. Here is the video. Could it be a bad pressure switch?

O'Reilly gauge is just a "close enough" gauge. Plus the ambient temp makes a difference when testing and checking pressures. That sure sounds like a low charge cycling noise but it was not that often. I think it is just "slightly" low and a top off would cure it, BUT, you can let go and I would bet that what interior temp feels ok now will not be ok when it is hotter outside. Hell, I don't even know where you are from and what the ambient temp is there.

OP
OP
B

Billydunwoody

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
O'Reilly gauge is just a "close enough" gauge. Plus the ambient temp makes a difference when testing and checking pressures. That sure sounds like a low charge cycling noise but it was not that often. I think it is just "slightly" low and a top off would cure it, BUT, you can let go and I would bet that what interior temp feels ok now will not be ok when it is hotter outside. Hell, I don't even know where you are from and what the ambient temp is there.
Thanks. I will have my mechanic put it on real a/c gauges on my next oil change. We live in Los Angeles, ambient temp right now is 60’s but it will be getting hot soon lol. Luckily, it still blows cold for a/c and hot for the heater

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
One thing to remember, the system is not supposed to leak. If is low, then you have a leak, even if it is a real small leak. Something that slow is typically at the shrader valves, service ports. When you have the tech check the pressures, remove the threaded caps and have him check there for leaks first. The threaded caps have o-ring seals and really slow a small leak down. If is leaking, he can recover the existing refrigerant, install new shrader valves, evacuate the system and recharge. I am of the opinion that when a system is opened up, you did not give the year of your vehicle till I saw it in the video, that if old enough-yours is, replace the accumulator and the orifice while it is open and if original switch, do the low pressure switch on the accumulator.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PascalBlues