A better radiator?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GMJedi

Reaction score
Anyone recently replace their plastic/aluminum radiator? I have gone through a couple aftermarket replacements in 5 years.

Jason in DLH

Cheeseburger and Fries
Reaction score
That seems like a lot of replacements. What happens to them? After 13 years and 160,000 miles my OEM is working great.

Have you checked the coolant pH level with one of those little pH strips? There’s also a test you can do with a voltmeter. I can’t remember what the pH should be, nor tell you how to perform the voltmeter test, but I know it’s something to check into if your going through so many radiators.

OP
OP
GMJedi

GMJedi

Reaction score
170k on the original. 1st replacement leaked upon installing. I think they forgot the oring on one of the tanks. Second(different brand) has a rubber cap over an unused heater hose fitting that doesn’t go for a month without severe cracks. Original didn’t have that fitting.
The only reason I replaced it in the first place was not because it failed. I was replacing water pump and hoses. So figured might as well.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Likely cheap quality radiators that you bought. What did you buy? It would also help to post what the hell you are driving. Can't look it up for you without that info. Or I could do a WAG and really **** it all up.

FrankU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before you buy another radiator I would check for a blown head gasket , tiny bubbles in the radiator with radiator cap off and engine running. Or go to an emissions shop and have them check for exhaust gasses in the radiator .

muncie21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The factory radiator (2014 Denali) developed a seep between the radiator and the tank on the driver's side, at ~60K miles. I replaced it with a Spectra Premium (CU2370) last Christmas (2019). No issues and the new radiator was a perfect match/fit, not capping of hoses, etc. The radiator was ~$170 from Amazon, at the time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jmiller727

Latest posts