99 Yukon Repairs (Front Suspension and misc)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

farwek

Reaction score
So I thought I would post about what I will be doing this weekend, and maybe when I am done I will post a how to write up.

What I am going to be doing this weekend.
1. Replacing upper and lower ball joints
2. Replacing upper and lower control arm bushings
3. Replacing sway bar end links and frame mount bushings
4. EGR Valve cleaning
5. Seafoam treatment
6. Thermostat replacement (right now mine is wide open and only gets to about 140F)
7. Spark Plugs

Coming home from O'reilly's total cost $495.
2012-05-31174243.jpg

Missing 1 sway bar end links (on order), 1 set of LCA bushings, 1 LCA ball joint (left in the car and didnt want to go down stairs to get them)
2012-05-31190333.jpg

I'm going to do the seafoam treatment before I replace the spark plugs. I am getting misfires and it is popping a SES light for an O2 sensor. The scanner I used didn't tell me what bank it was on so I figure I would try and fix everything I could think of that may be causing this problem, hence the EGR valve, seafoam, thermostat, and spark plugs.

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice collection of parts.
If you could, please let me know how the install and removal of your control arm bushings go. That is on my to-do list.
Thanks

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
left side engine. you cat converter is just about worn out.

P0420

DTC P0420 TWC System Low Efficiency Bank 1 (1 Of 2)

DTC P0420 TWC System Low Efficiency Bank 1 (2 Of 2)

TWC System

CIRCUIT DESCRIPTION
In order to control emissions of Hydrocarbons (**), Carbon Monoxide (CO) and Oxides of Nitrogen (NOx), The system uses a three-way catalytic converter. The catalyst within the converter promotes a chemical reaction which oxidizes the HC and CO present in the exhaust gas, converting them into harmless water vapor and carbon dioxide. The catalyst also reduces NOx, converting it to nitrogen. The Vehicle Control Module (VCM) has the capability to monitor this process using the HO2S (Bank 1, Sensor 1). The HO2S (Bank 1, Sensor 2), located in the exhaust stream past the three-way catalytic converter, produces an output signal which indicates the oxygen storage capacity of the catalyst; this in turn indicates the catalyst's ability to convert exhaust emissions effectively. If the catalyst is functioning correctly, the HO2S (Bank 1, Sensor 2) signal will be far less active than that produced by the HO2S (Bank 1, Sensor 1). If a problem exists which causes the VCM to detect an excessive HO2S (Bank 1, Sensor 2) activity outside of an acceptable range for an extended period of time, the VCM sets the DTC P0420. This DTC indicates that the three-way catalytic converter's oxygen storage capacity is below a threshold considered acceptable. This is a type A DTC.

CONDITIONS FOR SETTING THE DTC

Converter Warm Up Test

• A Closed Loop.
  • The commanded Air to Fuel ratio = 14.7:1.
  • The Mass Air Flow (MAF) is greater than 15 g/s.
  • The predicted Catalyst warm up temperature is greater than 450°C.
Converter Warm UP Test Passed

• No Vehicle Speed (VS) sensor DTCs.
  • No Throttle Position (TP) sensor DTCs.
  • No HO2S DTCs.
  • No misfire DTCs.
  • No Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) sensor DTCs.
  • No fuel trim DTCs.
  • No Intake Air Temperature (IAT) sensor DTCs.
  • No Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) sensor DTCs.
  • No MAF sensor DTCs.
  • Engine coolant temperature is above 75°C (167°F).
  • The vehicle is in a Closed Loop fuel control.
  • The above conditions met for a period of time in order to ensure a warm catalyst (at least 2 consecutive minutes).
  • The calculated engine load is steady.
  • Vehicle speed is steady between 20 mph and 70 mph.
  • The IAT is at least -9.75°C.
  • The MAF sensor is less than 50 g/s.
  • The engine speed is no more than 4700 RPM.
  • The TP sensor is more than 1.9%.
  • Bank 1, Sensor 2 HO2S average is ±39 mV from Bank 1, Sensor 1 average voltage.
ACTION TAKEN WHEN THE DTC SETS
The VCM will turn ON the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL).

CONDITIONS FOR CLEARING THE MIL/DTC
The VCM turns the MIL off after 3 consecutive driving trips without a fault condition present. A history DTC will clear if no fault conditions have been detected for 40 warm-up cycles (coolant temperature has risen 40°F from the start-up coolant temperature and the engine coolant temperature exceeds 160°F during that same ignition cycle) or the scan tool clearing feature has been used.

DIAGNOSTIC AIDS
Difficulty running the OBD II status DTC P0420 test may be encountered in areas where the test conditions cannot be maintained easily, especially in urban areas.

TEST DESCRIPTION
The numbers below refer to the step numbers in the diagnostic table.

1. This table includes checks for conditions that can cause the three-way catalytic converter efficiency to appear degraded. Inspect and repair exhaust system as necessary. Inspect the HO2S (Bank 1, Sensor 2) pigtail and engine harness for any damage that can cause an intermittent fault in HO2S (Bank 1, Sensor 2) circuits.
CAUTION : In order to avoid damaging the replacement three-way catalytic converter, correct the engine misfire or mechanical fault before replacing the three-way catalytic converter.

1. If the three-way catalytic converter needs to be replaced, make sure that the following conditions are not present to caused the catalyst to be damaged:

• Misfire.
    • High engine oil consumption or coolant consumption.
    • Retarded spark timing or weak spark.

OP
OP
farwek

farwek

Reaction score
I don't think so, maybe though. The info you posted talks about this may be caused from a misfire, and this thing has been misfiring like crazy. That's why I am going to replace the spark plugs first, they haven't been replaced in approx 90k miles. I just recently replaced the cap and rotor on the distributor and wires.
I'll let you know what becomes of this misfire issue by Sat. afternoon.

_Dylan_

STAY FROSTY
Reaction score
While you're at it you could replace the leaf spring bushings too. The bump stops might need to be replaced as well.

OP
OP
farwek

farwek

Reaction score
While you're at it you could replace the leaf spring bushings too. The bump stops might need to be replaced as well.

Leaf spring bushings were replaced very recently, and good idea about the bump stops on the front... they have never been touched and look like poopoo lol

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

---------- Post added at 10:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:57 PM ----------

Leaf spring bushings were replaced very recently, and good idea about the bump stops on the front... they have never been touched and look like poopoo lol

Does anyone know the part number/numbers? I looked on summit and I see two MOOG parts for upper and lower control arms, AMGK3180 and AMGK7293. Just trying to make sure these are the right numbers because I don't remember there being two bump stops...

Last edited:

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
I don't think so, maybe though. The info you posted talks about this may be caused from a misfire, and this thing has been misfiring like crazy. That's why I am going to replace the spark plugs first, they haven't been replaced in approx 90k miles. I just recently replaced the cap and rotor on the distributor and wires.
I'll let you know what becomes of this misfire issue by Sat. afternoon.

If has been misfiring for a while then you may have damaged the converter hence the code telling you something is wrong with it. At any rate fix the ignition problems and continue to monitor the catalyst.

OP
OP
farwek

farwek

Reaction score
If has been misfiring for a while then you may have damaged the converter hence the code telling you something is wrong with it. At any rate fix the ignition problems and continue to monitor the catalyst.

OK I will keep that in mind. I really hope not cuz I don't want to spend another 400 on crappy emissions stuff LOL.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tired_One