99 Tahoe/failed NYS Inspection.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jimmyspirits

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well the rust is killing my 99 Tahoe. Failed for rear shackles and brackets being bad. I’ve been searching for the brackets but Dorman only lists for 2 door vehicle and when I called them they said mounting holes were different and would not fit so WTF! Shackles are available from several vendors. Does anyone have a part number or experience replacing and what did you use. Appreciate it. I need my truck for work. Not registered either as state won’t renew registration without current inspection.

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
You may have to source them from a recycling yard in a state where they don’t use salt. Not a fast solution unfortunately.

I changed the brackets on a Ford from the 90’s. It wasn’t a very difficult job. I removed the rivet heads with a grinder and punched them out. Replaced with grade 8 bolts.

I might be inclined to get the Dorman bracket and try it. Assuming they are correct about the mount holes you may either drill new holes or weld it on.

OP
OP
J

Jimmyspirits

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You may have to source them from a recycling yard in a state where they don’t use salt. Not a fast solution unfortunately.

I changed the brackets on a Ford from the 90’s. It wasn’t a very difficult job. I removed the rivet heads with a grinder and punched them out. Replaced with grade 8 bolts.

I might be inclined to get the Dorman bracket and try it. Assuming they are correct about the mount holes you may either drill new holes or weld it on.

Thank you Bill. That might be the way to go with regards to the scrap yard. Welding in this location hmmmmm. Rust on the frame is pretty significant for a good bond. Frame rails are getting bad too. Larger hole up front passenger side. Surprisingly that hole wasn’t why it failed though. Truck only has 130k on it too. These go 300k regularly if they don’t rust apart first LOL. Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu