98 Tahoe - Cylinder 6 misfire - fuel or ignition problem?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
H

HoeLV

Reaction score
Fuel Pressure:

Key On - 60
Idle - 52
10 Min - 52
Driving/Missing - 55

Going to drive around with plugs 2/5 swapped and wires 2/1 swapped and see if there is any change.

OP
OP
H

HoeLV

Reaction score
Hmmmm.... I am thinking I might have found the problem. I picked up a new rotor and cap to try and rule each of them out respectively. After removing the cap and putting the new one on, I noticed the front tab where the screw threads and seats itself in the distributor is broken. It hasn't completely broke off, but it definitely isn't allowing the cap to sit flush and tight against the distributor. I would imagine that could create a problem with being able to send a proper spark.

Thoughts? I'd be surprised if that wouldn't cause an issue.

OP
OP
H

HoeLV

Reaction score
I'm not sure if it was here or another tahoe/OBS forum, but I thought I read to stick with ACDelco for the distributor, something about the aftermarket ones not working well. Or i am confusing it with something else....

Edit: The cap/rotor you linked to, is that different than what comes with the distributor you linked?

Last edited:

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Correct - DCR820X or delco/delphi only ones I've found that last. Others = stranded, no start.

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't know for sure,(no #reference) but past experience was it was not DCR820X. Tried a few DCR820's and the caps on 9362, not to mention many other generic caps customer supplied. They lasted 5000-10000 miles or less. Not worth the effort/labor/tow. Thats why I supplied link.
If you get an ignition miss on these trucks, fix immediately or it's cap/wires/plugs before it goes away. For most customers, it is change them all every time, or they won't get 40-50k trouble free. I keep my own fleet running and a select few others on a as needed basis.Up to around 20 of 96-98.

OP
OP
H

HoeLV

Reaction score
Don't know for sure,(no #reference) but past experience was it was not DCR820X. Tried a few DCR820's and the caps on 9362, not to mention many other generic caps customer supplied. They lasted 5000-10000 miles or less. Not worth the effort/labor/tow. Thats why I supplied link.
If you get an ignition miss on these trucks, fix immediately or it's cap/wires/plugs before it goes away. For most customers, it is change them all every time, or they won't get 40-50k trouble free. I keep my own fleet running and a select few others on a as needed basis.Up to around 20 of 96-98.
Well shit, I guess using the brand new AC Delco cap (D329A) is probably not ideal either.

I'm half tempted to get new plugs/wires again too. What ones have you had success with or ones to steer away from?

Possible vacuum leak.

This crossed my mind as well. But, I would think it would be more random, not confined to cylinder 2. And then located the tab broken where the screw threads into.

Last edited:

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That distributor looks (well, obviously, lol) like the one that I got from Summit with the all-metal tabs. Odds are that they’re all just rebranded from one manufacturer, but I wouldn’t get another one with the plastic mounting tabs.

The supplied Summit cap was junk, of course, after a month or so.

To the OP, I’d ditch the distributor with the broken tab as it negates any diagnostics in the ignition system. It’s quite possible that it is your smoking gun (or not) but should be replaced, regardless. Keep your Delco cap, wires and plugs until you swap out the dizzy.

OP
OP
H

HoeLV

Reaction score
That distributor looks (well, obviously, lol) like the one that I got from Summit with the all-metal tabs. Odds are that they’re all just rebranded from one manufacturer, but I wouldn’t get another one with the plastic mounting tabs.

The supplied Summit cap was junk, of course, after a month or so.

To the OP, I’d ditch the distributor with the broken tab as it negates any diagnostics in the ignition system. It’s quite possible that it is your smoking gun (or not) but should be replaced, regardless. Keep your Delco cap, wires and plugs until you swap out the dizzy.
I ordered the above linked distributor (9362) and cap (DCR820X) which arrive on Monday. Hopefully I can get to installing them Monday or Tuesday and report back with everything running smooth and no misfires. I can then order the new fuel pump and get that installed. It looks like it comes with a new pressure sensor, which I have been putting off replacing mine. Dropping the tank to replace a sensor that isnt critical hasn't been on my immediate to do list.

Once that is all ironed out, it will be time to start ordering parts to rebuild the steering and suspension. I am wanting to do a simple 3" lift at the same time as the steering/suspension work. I will probably start a thread over in that forum soon to get some insight as well.

Thanks All!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo